Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Komodo - January 5 to 8 2014
January 09, 2014, 10:20:27 PM
The Komodo National Park is an absolutely iconic GT location. I cannot think of anywhere on earth where there is such a close proximity of so very many islets, promontories and bommies, all with attendant ripping currents; GT heaven.

My previous experience there had not been a particularly good one and it was at a time when the GT community pretty much ditched Komodo as a must-visit site.  The over fishing of the area, both legal and illegal, had definitely taken its toll come the mid to late 2000s.  Recent reports had been more encouraging though, so much so that Adhek Amerta decided that he wanted to try running charters there again.  Adhek first fished there in 2002 and guided many of the world leading GT anglers around Komodo before giving up there with great sadness when things took a downturn.

So, he and I planned a 4 day test trip together starting on January 5th 2013, staying in Labuan Bajo on the island of Flores and making the short trip out each day. When I first arrived I was a little down about the conditions, it was glassy flat with a forecast of no winds to speak of.  Far from ideal GT fishing conditions and our best hope was that Komodos legendary currents would still provide some great fishing.

And so it would prove.  Over the four days, I lost count of the number of GT strikes. I did keep a tally on the first day and it was 18.  The 3 days which followed would have been similar to that for sure. Bear in mind this was pretty much a solo mission and for 90% of the time I was the only angler fishing.  The fish were not especially "on" though with many, many flappy misses and quite a number of fish lightly hooked (probably foul hooked) coming off after a few seconds.  That being said, I was extremely happy with the quality and number of GTs landed.

Have been talking a lot with friends about the number of misses and poor hook ups, and I think the consensus is that this was due to the crystal clear glassed out conditions.

Also had a couple of hugely enjoyable PE3 sessions. I will never forget one 2 hour period when I lost count of the number of bluefin trevally landed but it was more than 20 for sure.  Other fish caught on the lighter gear included GTs and red bass.

I suppose the only really missing element from this trip was the landing of a true monster class GT. It was close with one reefing by an unstoppable fish as large as anything I have ever hooked, and a couple of misses which left me gasping at the size of the fish.  There are certainly 50kg+ fish here.

Floating stickbaits were the go to class of lure for much of the trip and one in particular deserves a special mention as it was the star lure of the trip. It is a new lure so many members will not be aware of it: BCS Custom Baits Wave Walker, 255 mm, 170 grams. This lure is a beauty with such a sharp and precise action.

This certainly removed any lingering doubts Adhek had about resuming charters to this most iconic of locations. And it proved to me that Komodo is well and truly back in the top echelon of GT spots around the world.

Rods
Carpenter Endless Passion 82/38 (PE8)
Carpenter Monster Hunter 80H (PE8)
Carpenter The Blue Lagoon 80/40 (PE8)
Carpenter Black Current 80 MRF (PE3

Successful  lures
BCS Custom Baits Wave Walker 255 (170 gr)
Adhek Viking 1 (150 gr)
Adhek Medium Penipen (140 gr)
Carpenter Gamma 140
BFP Astro Swimbait
ASWB SS 90

PE3 lures that did the business were Smith Saruna Dragon, IMA Barbarossa and Duo Rough Trail.

I have hundreds of pics to sort through but here is a selection which I hope sums up the nature of the fishing and the location.

Solid, fat and very thick GTs were the order of the trip:

Aceng will not thank me for posting this but I had to. The little fella was destroyed by this fish but he did SO well to get it in:

BCS Custom Baits Wave Walker 255 - a truly great new addition to the GT armoury:

Some smaller GTs of this sort of size as well, but most were a lot bigger:

Crazy light tackle mayhem with bluefin trevallies, over 20 landed in an afternoon session:

Glassed out conditions:

But plenty of raging current at the right moments:

Komodo - truly an iconic GT location!:

Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:58:42 PM by Mark Harris

chris caley

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: Komodo - January 5 to 8 2014
January 09, 2014, 11:28:59 PM
wow looked like an epic trip Mark.

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 09, 2014, 11:46:52 PM
No comment

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 09, 2014, 11:53:40 PM
Very, very nice bud.

They are fit looking fish as well.

Spectacular location.

Trev

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 12:40:26 AM
Boom! Killed it mate, well done  ;)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 01:56:04 AM
Brilliant trip Mark, congratulations.

Komodo is such a prolific GT habitat with decent number of big fish amoung the hoardes of others.

You have me very keen to get back there.
Set the ray to GeeT

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 05:06:44 AM
Lets go Andy. I am in
Greetings
Simon

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 05:07:56 AM
Thanks for the trip report Mark, very nice fish and conditions!
Is the rod in the last pic the EP82/38? Such a beautiful curve!  :)

Shane Clark

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 06:52:27 AM
Awesome work mate, predominantly dark colored fish landed over the trip?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 09:05:08 AM
Great report Mark. Komodo is a visually stunning place. Been on the list for years but just haven't found myself there yet! Keep up the good work!

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 11:19:02 AM
Bravo Mr Harris, well done to you and Pak Adhek.  I am so pleased that this gamble has paid off so handsomely.  By the way your new camera is taking quite nice images too :)
ebbtidetackle.com

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 11:21:45 AM
Great to see a report from Komodo, especially such a positive one
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 12:10:31 PM
Many thanks guys - I am very appreciative that so many of you have commented on the report.

It's an amazing site and a fishery that has recovered a lot of health after the over-fishing of mid 2000s.  I spent a lot of time talking to the park rangers and there are still challenges for sure but the future of the Komodo marine life is now looking far better than it was.

My only regret was that I could only find time to fish 4 days.  I am 100% convinced that the fish were not really on during my trip. If anyone is lucky enough to hit the site when they are, then it will be mayhem!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 12:12:39 PM
Thanks for the trip report Mark, very nice fish and conditions!
Is the rod in the last pic the EP82/38? Such a beautiful curve!  :)

Yep EP82/38. Just about my favourite GT rod these days.  It had a hell of a work out on this trip.
Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:21:14 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2014, 12:15:56 PM
Awesome work mate, predominantly dark colored fish landed over the trip?

Yes Shane for sure. Been looking through the pics and darker GTS definitely dominated.