Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Offshore footwear
July 13, 2012, 03:31:12 AM
Sorry in advance if this is a bit of a mundane topic but what do you guys recommend ? I've tried trainers, cracs (noone buys the real thing surely ????), Columbia sandals etc etc over the years but I'm fed up of skating around wet decks !

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Offshore footwear
July 13, 2012, 04:19:42 AM
Get native Chris .. walk around bare foot for a few weeks and develop what i like to call 'The Hoof',  you can then cross all terrain and its also non slip on the boat. Except of course when you get caught off guard by a monster GT and get thrown across the deck like a little girl .. which of course has never happened to me :(

Wayne STOCKER

July 13, 2012, 07:48:47 AM
Dunlop Volleys. I been wearing them as deck shoes forever. Bare feet are good but once you have stubbed your toe on deck fittings a few times the Volleys restore confidence in moving around the decks. Oh and they are non-slip as well.

Some of the cheaper ones the tread is a very hard plastic what you want is the very soft rubber like soles.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 13, 2012, 09:12:00 AM
I have been a barefoot on deck guy for a long time but not very long ago Gamakatsu Recorder 6/0 went straight through my little toe (a certain rather tall member of this forum from Perth may have had something to do with that).  I now think twice and try to remember to keep on either sandals or those Reebok things that look like Crocs but are way less ugly.

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
July 13, 2012, 09:45:59 AM
Ive been using the Columbia power drain water shoes for a while now and I really like them. Their super lite and has a lot of grip when the deck is covered in GT slime and fish blood. My back use to hurt from fishing in slippers all day but with these I can fish all day no prob and no sore back. I don't wear socks and the shoes get hot like any other footwear if its not wet a little so I just dunk my feet in water to cool them off.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2012, 09:52:02 AM
Great question Chris I have been wanting to ask the same thing.

What are the orange shoe that are seen on so many Japanese in the fishing pics?

Ed you crack me up man.... or when you catch 3 GT's one after another right Chris???heheheh

As for the hook in the foot, ya always a BIG worry of mine also.... talk about ruining a trip.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 13, 2012, 10:48:07 AM
CROCS are tops!

Say what you want about them guys but they are awesome.
Super comfy and awesome grip.
I have been wearing these on boats for quite a while and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Chris

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 13, 2012, 01:46:09 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Adidas Climacool Water
http://www.amazon.com/Adidas-Outdoor-Boat-Lace-Water/dp/B004ZNIWE4

I have a set, they are awesome.

On that note if anyone wants to buy a size 9.5, I have a set going that I wore once. I bought them and they were a bit too small, so also bought the next size larger.

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 14, 2012, 01:38:39 AM
Columbia power drain, or drain maker, i have tried loads of different shoes... and once the deck is slippery with fish slime, sweat (its the desert we sweat lot!) and water... pretty much only the Columbia grip seems to have a hold.... and like was mentioned, protects your back from the bumps etc...

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 14, 2012, 08:01:13 AM
Crocs!

Only the authentic!!

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 14, 2012, 09:33:24 AM
Crocs are truly in a league of their own the originals only I recently bought a specific pair recently which have been discontinued but if you search really hard like I did harder for me cause I have a foot like a paddle haha the style are Quick Trails very robust and comfy shoe which your feet slip in the neoprene kind of sock first into the shoe with draw cord and drain holes on the bottom thru a mesh steel looking gauze toughest crocs I've seen yet and I'm also sporting a pair of Columbia wet shoes named Outpost Hybrids tough as nails these shoes are check them out you'll be impressed but the crocs are the pick of the pair for comfort but for wading I'd go the Columbias.

Regards Richard
Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:38:17 AM by Richard Ghalayini

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 14, 2012, 09:45:27 AM
A friend of mine once said... "a grown man should never be seen in Crocs."  :)

Seriously guys, the Reebok alternatives are every bit as good quality and look way less dorky.  8)

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
July 15, 2012, 03:17:07 AM
I know what you mean about the Crocs Mark - don't tell Social Services but if the kids are naughty I make them wear theirs outside the house !

I've been scouring the shops after work but I couldn't find the Reeboks - what model are they ?

I like the look of the Columbia ones, particularly the PFG Drainmaker Slip but they didn't have my size. I saw the Powerdrain shoes but I suspect that as you say Charles they may get a bit hot in the temperatures we get here in the Arabian Gulf. Are these the ones you've used up in Oman Matt ?

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 15, 2012, 08:20:44 AM
A friend of mine once said... "a grown man should never be seen in Crocs."  :)

Seriously guys, the Reebok alternatives are every bit as good quality and look way less dorky.  8)

Fashion apparel in the fishing scene angler please lol :D but saying that we have to have a bit of pride in what we wear on our fun day out, crocs are really ugly my wife hates em but heaps comfy but it's not like we're going to cat walk our foot wear down run way or get another angler nice kix can I get your number :-*
Mark they are nice boks look very similar to my sisters.  :-*

Cheers 8)
Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:33:21 AM by Richard Ghalayini

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 15, 2012, 09:44:35 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Adidas Climacool Water
http://www.amazon.com/Adidas-Outdoor-Boat-Lace-Water/dp/B004ZNIWE4

I have a set, they are awesome.

On that note if anyone wants to buy a size 9.5, I have a set going that I wore once. I bought them and they were a bit too small, so also bought the next size larger.
I bought a pair while over in Hawaii recently - they are very good.  Keen to see how they go in the boat this summer because it gets bloody hot here  ;D
Focus on the pop