Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Down lock or Uplock ?
February 18, 2009, 05:37:58 PM
Guys ,

Which one you prefer , " down lock " or " up lock " reel seat configuration for your popping / jigging rod ?

Just for reference , Carpenter employs " down lock "  while  Smith employs
" up lock " configuration , so let me have your opinion .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Down lock or Uplock ?
February 18, 2009, 06:38:07 PM
Jon this is an interesting topic, I was looking at my carpenter and smith handles the other day.

The up-lock on the smith makes the distance from reel to gimbal longer, which in theory increases leverage on casting, making casting of heavier plugs longer for less effort, some may say, but I'm not a physicist so correct me if I'm wrong. As we have discussed recently this handle length is effective to a point and also dependent on the build of the angler.

The other issue would be where most of the load is carried by the reel seat. In theory it would be on the front of the seat, with the fish pulling line off. If the un-threaded part of the seat is in fact stronger and more stable in theory it looks like Smith have it right. I may be completely wrong though.
Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:50:01 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2009, 06:53:36 PM
I wonder whether anyone here has experienced a reel seat breaking under load?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2009, 07:37:18 PM
Andy ,

The position of the reel on the handle would be adjusted accordingly but what I find with down lock configuration is better for casting because our fingers are pressing down the reel's stem downward , should there be any loosening of the reel holder , it would be detected right away .

As for which is stronger , as Brandon mentioned , myself have never heard of reelseat breaking under load .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2009, 08:01:12 PM
a locking nut like what Fisherman and Zenaq use would do the trick

Andy ,

The position of the reel on the handle would be adjusted accordingly but what I find with down lock configuration is better for casting because our fingers are pressing down the reel's stem downward , should there be any loosening of the reel holder , it would be detected right away .

As for which is stronger , as Brandon mentioned , myself have never heard of reelseat breaking under load .

Jon .

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 18, 2009, 08:50:01 PM
All my spin rods are up-locking but I am constantly re tightening during a session as they ALL seem to loosen, I wish they all came with a second locking nut as I'm always paranoid I will lose a reel :'(

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2009, 09:19:58 PM
I think Zenaq makes a device for this, Chris. Also, you can just use electrical tape