Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GT's Gladstone QLD
July 29, 2009, 12:10:04 AM
Can anyone give me any advice on the area, i know there will be fish there somewhere after all shoal bay isnt really that far away.  After some advice i will be there early in jan 2010, would be good to get out for a pop while i am there, will have access to a boat around 20ft so i should be ok

appreciate any advice or info on the area

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: GT's Gladstone QLD
July 29, 2009, 08:34:39 AM
Brad,

I have never caught any GTs of size in Gladstone, but have fished a fair bit of the area over the years (I grew up there).  The two locations I have physically seen large GTs is at Cape Capricorn about 20 miles north on Curtis Island, and out at Masthead which is about 30 miles out at the reef.  I am sure there will be fish at the shoals which is about 20 miles out, I'm just not sure where.  I also reckon they will be around Hummocky Island (and some surrounding islands in the same area) which are about 10 miles further north of Cape Capricorn.  All of these areas are well within reach of a 20' boat.  They are not really targetted in the area as far as I know. 

If you want really good info the person I would speak to is John Mitchell, who runs a barra guiding business up there.  He has fished the Gladstone area extensively both recreationally and professionally, and if anyone would know where they hang out it would be him.  I don't believe he is a member of this forum, but he is on Ausfish as "A_Different_Perspective".  I don't know how much (if any) info he will divulge, but it would be worth a try.
His website is below.

http://www.fishawoonga.com.au/

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Simon

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 29, 2009, 10:01:26 AM
Thanks Simon

I will drop him an email

cheers

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 29, 2009, 11:00:10 AM
Brad,

I have never caught any GTs of size in Gladstone, but have fished a fair bit of the area over the years (I grew up there).  The two locations I have physically seen large GTs is at Cape Capricorn about 20 miles north on Curtis Island, and out at Masthead which is about 30 miles out at the reef.  I am sure there will be fish at the shoals which is about 20 miles out, I'm just not sure where.  I also reckon they will be around Hummocky Island (and some surrounding islands in the same area) which are about 10 miles further north of Cape Capricorn.  All of these areas are well within reach of a 20' boat.  They are not really targetted in the area as far as I know. 

If you want really good info the person I would speak to is John Mitchell, who runs a barra guiding business up there.  He has fished the Gladstone area extensively both recreationally and professionally, and if anyone would know where they hang out it would be him.  I don't believe he is a member of this forum, but he is on Ausfish as "A_Different_Perspective".  I don't know how much (if any) info he will divulge, but it would be worth a try.
His website is below.

http://www.fishawoonga.com.au/

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Simon

just had a look on google earth, those islands look promising

can you leave from somewehre closer than gladstone to get to that area?

cheers

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 30, 2009, 08:36:48 AM
Brad,
There are GT's within range of Gladstone. I fish out of Yeppoon and if we head south we meet Gladstone boats heading north.
There is a lot of fishing pressure around Gladstone, but I have never seen anyone fishing for GT's.
So far all I have done is fish the obvious spots and done pretty well.  Send me a pm closer to the dates and I'll give you a couple of good starters. There is a bit of a pattern up here that the Spanish Mackerel haunts also hold GT's, ie current, rock ridges, bait schools. You should be able to get good intel on Mackerel then work the spots for Gt's. I haven't seen many Gts around the offshore reefs and shoals, they tend to be a bit featureless. I would concentrate on the continental Islands and mainland headlands.

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 30, 2009, 09:27:53 AM
thanks Graham

i am all over google earth, some of the coast / spots look VERY promising.  Will be tehre from new moon on BIG tides so hopefully can find a few.  I will definately be in contact mate, i might even drive up your way and bribe you with carton of that disgusting yellow canned stuff you blokes drink, if your up to it

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 30, 2009, 09:52:00 AM
mmmmmm XXXX.... ;D
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 30, 2009, 11:32:37 AM
Kenny,
Keep your eyes off my beer!!
Brad,
We could round up a few troops and do a southern exploratory trip that you could then visit from Gladstone. I have found you need the big tides down south but further north it doesn't make much difference as all the tides are big.  Ken can come along as he has real poppers and flash gear. I just have a box full of R2S Dumbells (but they work!!), ugly sticks and non-descript daiwas and shimanos. I wouldn't know a ripplefisher from a carpenter even if I ran over them.

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 30, 2009, 12:04:58 PM
keen as

what do we need to do?????

i just have to be in gladstone for the 8th but then i am available to do soe exploring from the 9th - 15th, dont know what the tides are like then

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 30, 2009, 12:16:53 PM
There are a number of good areas down that way.  I have caught GT's while Barra fishing in Keppel creek and along that northern stretch of Curtis Island, lots of rocky outcrops and headlands.
A lot of years ago I used to camp on the eastern side of Curtis and we used to catch GT's and Goldens of the beaches and headlands below Cape Capricorn.
And as Graham stated, Gt's are not targetted much around this area.

Graham I may have some flash stuff, but it isn't as nice as your boat!!

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 30, 2009, 01:26:06 PM
Ken,
That's why I can't afford any more fishing gear!!