Marc Towers

Re: Your GT PB's
August 05, 2009, 05:48:05 PM
 Hi Guys,

Here are some shots of fish taken on my first ever jigging / popping trip - admittedly all the fish in the photos were taken on the jig - sea rocks mainly. Conditions were not ideal for popper fishing..

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
August 06, 2009, 09:35:37 AM
geez,   some solid GT'S taken jigging.

if it's ok of me asking,

what destination is that at?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
August 06, 2009, 12:01:26 PM
Did you eat all those GT's Marc?

Stephen C

August 06, 2009, 03:07:36 PM
My 1st GT is my PB, Elusive Reef in May 2009 , Nomad boys called it 35kg, 1st time doing it,and after casting and popping for 20mins felt 100kg

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
August 06, 2009, 04:31:15 PM
My 1st GT is my PB, Elusive Reef in May 2009 , Nomad boys called it 35kg, 1st time doing it,and after casting and popping for 20mins felt 100kg

BOUT TIME MATE  ::)

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
August 06, 2009, 04:31:55 PM
geez,   some solid GT'S taken jigging.

if it's ok of me asking,

what destination is that at?

Madagascar mate

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
August 06, 2009, 04:32:43 PM
Now there are a few thumpers in that lot boys!!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 06, 2009, 05:39:10 PM

G'Day Clarkey,

Nice fish, any GT taken that trip, and they were rare, was well earned.

Cheers Mate
Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:53:46 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Marc Towers

August 06, 2009, 06:36:31 PM

Hi Guys,

A little more info on the fishing in Madagascar for those interested..

The pictures put up were of the best fish taken during the the trip (8 days - but only 1 real fisherman - myself, plus my girlfriend who fished along with the skipper / deck-hand at times). There were numerous other smaller GT's - triple hook-ups on jig and double hook-ups on popper were not uncommon - actually in some places all you had to do was let the jig go, retrieve a few turns of line and fish on..! There were other species caught on the jig - numerous snapper and grouper species, jobfish, couta (i think spanish mackeral in Oz..?!) Average number of fish per day is 40-60 if conditions are decent.

I only spent about half the time jigging/popping as i also did some trolling / live bait bonito fishing thes rest of the time - this resulted in black marlin, sailfish, wahoo, barracuda, YFT (small), dorado etc - a good all round trip. Most fish were released if in good condition - not always easy if the grouper etc were brought up from depth - a lot of sharks nabbing weak fish on the way down i suspect also, as they could be a problem in some areas whilst jigging.. Even had the unnerving (but thrilling) site of a huge GT hit a smaller GT of about 8-10 kgs on the way up - thought it was a shark at first glance..!

Fishing is done out of Nosy Be, which largely caters for French speaking anglers. The actual fishing is done in areas around nosy be - there are numerous areas - nosy mitsio, nosy radama, cap st sebastien etc.

I hope this helps..

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
August 06, 2009, 07:30:15 PM

Hi Guys,

A little more info on the fishing in Madagascar for those interested..

The pictures put up were of the best fish taken during the the trip (8 days - but only 1 real fisherman - myself, plus my girlfriend who fished along with the skipper / deck-hand at times). There were numerous other smaller GT's - triple hook-ups on jig and double hook-ups on popper were not uncommon - actually in some places all you had to do was let the jig go, retrieve a few turns of line and fish on..! There were other species caught on the jig - numerous snapper and grouper species, jobfish, couta (i think spanish mackeral in Oz..?!) Average number of fish per day is 40-60 if conditions are decent.

I only spent about half the time jigging/popping as i also did some trolling / live bait bonito fishing thes rest of the time - this resulted in black marlin, sailfish, wahoo, barracuda, YFT (small), dorado etc - a good all round trip. Most fish were released if in good condition - not always easy if the grouper etc were brought up from depth - a lot of sharks nabbing weak fish on the way down i suspect also, as they could be a problem in some areas whilst jigging.. Even had the unnerving (but thrilling) site of a huge GT hit a smaller GT of about 8-10 kgs on the way up - thought it was a shark at first glance..!

Fishing is done out of Nosy Be, which largely caters for French speaking anglers. The actual fishing is done in areas around nosy be - there are numerous areas - nosy mitsio, nosy radama, cap st sebastien etc.

I hope this helps..

Cheers for that mate,some big fish there i tell ya!! ;)

Stephen C

August 07, 2009, 07:49:45 AM
You know it Andy, tough 1st hit out..How are things?