John Westcott

Re: Shoalwater Adventuring
January 06, 2009, 05:18:38 PM
Awesome Report Thanks for sharing it with us!!

I have been trying to convince a mate of mine to do a similar thing, might send him the report, with the advice that the only thing holding us back from adventures like these is ourselves!!

Well done for not just talking about it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
January 06, 2009, 08:27:40 PM
Gday John, no worries.  If you build up to it then it's no worries.  If you think of a normal day trip - say 40 km out to your spot and 40km back = 80km.  As long as you are self sufficient enough so that each night the end of that 80km is like being at home then it's no worries.

I think you are right in saying though that "that the only thing holding us back from this trip is ourselves".  You basically have to be comfortable with your own ability to get yourself out of trouble and last until help arrives.  A conversation myself and isaac had while we out there was - without falling out of the boat what is the worse that could happen??  The answer was that for some reason, struck by lightning or something as equally unlikely, the entire electrics system plus the epirb didn't work.  If this was the case we couldn't go anywhere, couldn't contact anyone and would be entirely self sufficient until someone passed by.  And as Graham mentioned, in shoalwater this can be some time.  I was totally happy with our response - we would anchor up if possible, we had enough water to last us for at least a week plus with tarps etc on board we could make a rain collection system, we had enough food on board to last a minimum of a week plus fishing gear. We had flares to contact someone if they passed within distance, plus the coastguard knew our movewments and would be looking for us within the week.  Failing that - if we had a satellite phone like Graham mentioned it would be mearly 24 hours until help arrived.

Like i've alluded to earlier, prepare for and be prepared to handle the absolute worst scenario.  Therefore anything that occurs shouldn't be a suprise and you are right to explore and catch the biggun! 

For me the biggest worry was porpoising down the back of a big swell and capsizing, being swamped by a standing wave or hitting a submerged rock and being tossed from the boat.  In such an event you have zero time to prepare and are really helpless.  To this end you should wear a PFD while travelling and have a personal epirb on your belt...something we didn't do and this time didn't pay for (just).  Two of those things are operator error while the third - hitting a submerged rock at speed, is a real posibility in shoalwater - hence wearing pfd and epirb, while somewhat hypocritical, is something I would seriously reccomend if you don't know the area and are doing the trip for a first time.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 06, 2009, 10:26:59 PM
I must say that this thread is absolutely awesome, truly inspirational. I have learned alot about remote/long distance trips in a small boat. Hopefully I can share some similar reports sometime in the near future - there's some unbeleivably good remote GT spots on the Pilbara coast that I'm just dying to explore.  ;D

John Westcott

January 07, 2009, 10:18:58 AM
Travis all very good points which I am going to take on baord, so know I guess the first thing to do is start the planning. thanks for the advice. 

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 07, 2009, 11:51:40 AM
Hi John,
Travis is dead right. Preparation is everything. I go up there in our 11m powercats with every conceivable bit of safety gear and it still worries me at times, and I've been going up there for 30 years!
There are still a number of hittable rocks that aren't on any charts so I only move thru Shoalwater between about 9 and 4 unless I know it well...avoids running into rocks at High Peak at dusk!

I have also run into a lot of absolute idiots up that way and only wonder why they haven't come to grief.
I think modern safe powerboats, decent GPS and sounder, sat phone and a pretty good set of simple spares, you should be OK. Most of the time you will be close to land so at worst you might end up sitting on a beach for quite a while.
You won't find a more remote pice of coastline south of Princess Charlotte Bay and its probably more dangerous than anything on the Queensland coast.
This is really due to the Military training area excluding public access. If the army wasn't there we'd probably have holidays homes on every second beach and boat ramps in most of the creeks....and no fish!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 07, 2009, 01:54:49 PM
Big trip for a small boat so well done..good pics anf fish also!! ;) ;D

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 07, 2009, 09:56:25 PM
some interesting info you have share with us thank you very much i can,t wait to get a boat and do a trip up there . maybe two group boat would be better to go in one boat  ;)

good report well done .