Damien Phillip

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Getting serious about GT popping
February 07, 2009, 02:53:20 AM
Ok guys I really want to start getting into the GT popping scene and would really appreciate some info. Apart from tackle, info relating to tides, times of day, what areas are likely to hold fish, when should you give up trying a particular spot, water depth, weather conditions and I've even heard about moon phases? Does it all depend on the area?

If anyone is willing to shed some light on any of these, please do. Any and all information will be extremely helpful to me, as I'm a newbie to the sport and still learning, I've picked up a lot of things from numerous topics and posts by you guys but just really want to understand the basics.

I know it would be better learning these things first hand but under the circumstances that not many(if none at all?) people around town take GT popping seriously and wouldn't do it on a regular basis(I'm guessing) so am coming to you guys for help :)

I've included a pic of the area I am going to try and explore when I get the chance, Bernier and Dorre Islands off the coast of Carnarvon WA. I'm pretty sure it holds some good fish, big GTs and a variety of other species willing to engulf a popper or stickbait as I've seen them caught using different methods.

This is looking at Dorre Island from the south and that's Bernier Island right up in the top right hand corner of the pic. Don't think this area has been fished seriously with this method before.This is the only place really that may give me a chance at one of those awesome fish around my home town.

Looking forward to hearing some replies. Any tips and opinions will be great.

Cheers
Damo

:) :) :)
Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:13:11 AM by Damien Phillip

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Getting serious about GT popping
February 07, 2009, 07:46:39 AM
Damo,
If you're from Western Australia, there are a few anglers around from that state as well. I have spent quite some time and effort popping the north-west of WA, but the results and rewards (for me) have not been the most encouraging. You still hear of enough fish being caught to create a buzz, but it astounds me that despite the low population density and even lower general interest there is nothing that I would deem really 'productive' available in WA.

I don't mean to sound totally disillusioned but I have been to alot of places that people say are 'GT meccas' like the Murions and the Rosilys, and all I can say is that those people should go to New Caledonia or on a Nomad trip before making such claims.

However, there are still a few big islands that are reputed to be worth it for those keen enough to explore - these include the Monte's and the Barrow islands. Perhaps Bernier and Dorre may fall into that category. I think your challenge is doubled though, because while GT popping can be complicated enough, the importance of handling a boat effectively, both during casting and fighting, cannot be understated. While it is a whole different story, it nevertheless plays equal, if not more, importance than the actual rod-and-line fight if you want to land more fish than you lose.

The picture above certainly looks very 'fishy', but to start off first, you will need to identify some good channels, bommies, deep-drop offs and rips. Water depth is a very contentious issue, as you could find success in anything less than 5 metres and sometimes over 30m. I think this depends more on the environment than specific depth per se. For example, it could be a big bommie rising up from 10m to break the surface, with current swirling all around it. Or, it could be a deep drop-off that starts at 30m and rises to 10m, such that you wouldn't even see it from the surface.

I think you should give up if you fire 3 or so sweet casts in and raise nothing, depending on how big the structure is - as sometimes you can do a lap around it. If it's a bank do one slow pass and if nothing comes up don't bother hanging around. However, the tricky part is that just because a fish isn't there now won't mean there won't be one there the next time.

There is alot of info relating to tides, times and moon phase available already, and I'm sure other members will be happy to further expand on these points.
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Damien Phillip

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 07, 2009, 08:08:43 PM
Thnx Kasey, some good points mentioned, helped me out alot. I'm really not expecting much my first couple of trips out but hopefully i can get lucky.

Anyone else willing to expand on anything to give me a better chance of connecting to one of these incredible fish?

Talked to a mate today about popping these islands and he said he's done it a couple of times, not seriously and has caught some reasonable size fish right up the end of the north island(Bernier) near some breakers, fish to 20kg and has been blasted by bigger specimens so am starting to get pretty excited about it all now. This will be the first place i'll try out given the chance.
Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:31:23 PM by Damien Phillip

Damien Phillip

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 08, 2009, 08:21:20 PM
Reading back through some other topics I've noticed the best times to be fishing is around the full or new moon, can someone explain to me why this is? Also do weather conditions have a real effect on the fishing? I know most would prefer calmer conditions but a bit of chop might prove to be more rewarding at times?

What are everyones ideal conditions for popping/stickbaiting??

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 08, 2009, 09:02:09 PM
Reading back through some other topics I've noticed the best times to be fishing is around the full or new moon, can someone explain to me why this is? Also do weather conditions have a real effect on the fishing? I know most would prefer calmer conditions but a bit of chop might prove to be more rewarding at times?

What are everyones ideal conditions for popping/stickbaiting??

The reason it's better on the new moon and full moon is because this is when there is maximum tidal current. GT's prefer this for feeding and hence are going to be more willing to hit a popper.

I know some people over on the east coast prefer slightly overcast weather with a bit of surface chop but to be perfectly honest I've done the best of calm sunny days with smooth seas.

Damien Phillip

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 08, 2009, 09:07:46 PM
Cheers Jay.

Maximum tidal current is at or around the change of high and low tides? The bigger the tides, the bigger the change, more tidal current, is that right? :-\

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 08, 2009, 09:15:29 PM
The change of tide usually has the least amount of movement.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 09, 2009, 08:14:11 AM
Cheers Jay.

Maximum tidal current is at or around the change of high and low tides? The bigger the tides, the bigger the change, more tidal current, is that right? :-\

imagine a car going from forward to reverse to forward again over a 50m stretch of ground - it will be slowest right where its changing direction up until where it will actually stop and turn and fastest somewhere around the middle.

Damien Phillip

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 09, 2009, 01:24:10 PM
Thanx fellas, makes sense now.