Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Chuen's idea is great, and it is also similar to Janelle's. There is nothing more A: uncomforting than knowing there are a big set of trebles attached to a lure rolling around at the back of the boat - particularly if you need to grab your gear in a hurry to make a cast. This would hopefully also avoid tangles.

Not necessarily sealed storage compartments, but semi-sheltered would be good. Even though most reels are water-resistant - it's the pelting rain and spray that gets into the vital nooks and gaps. This also helps to avoid having a number of rods touching each other, bouncing, scraping and hitting each one. Something similar to the way fly rods are stored could be good but larger to accommodate the bulkier gear i.e. they fit through into a seal compartment covered at least half the rod, the reel and butt rest on a rack under the gunwhale.

Non-slips decks - something like "seadeck" or even carpet could be better. And I like George's suggestion of a completely flat deck. A slope or step is always a problem (but not one that I can't live with). A flat deck might cause issues with gunwhale height though.

PS...great thread Travis and great detailed response George.

AustralianAngling

Many great design ideas posted here you should be able to build the ultimate boat or close to if you have the budget.

I notice flotation mentioned a few times foam filling hulls etc, as you are building  a relatively small vessel and your under floor will hold fuel water and other storage not much space is left for flotation. Assuming you have self draining desks and you only foam fill other compartments under floor this may not be enough, if you do hole hull vessel may sink say you have enough under floor flotation vessel usually will turn upside down.
Marine surveyors recommended flotation should be in side area's of vessel from water line to gunwale so will always float upright if you hole hull, you do not normally find this in alloy boat construction but you will find in some of the better glass manufactured hulls, or you could opted for watertight bulk heads if you go alloy but you will then have to have bilge pumping in all compartments.

As for safety equipment by the sound of things you are intending on traveling offshore and maybe remote places could be long time till rescue or help can arrive. If the worst happened and you had to abandon vessel, I can assure you after having been involved in numerous aerial searches looking for missing people when they have failed to return home you do not want to be bobbing around the ocean in a life jacket. Fit a 4 person life raft can be in a bag in storage or on hard top with an hydrostatic release.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Good response there George - obviously not the first time you've thought about this  :D

Had a look at the contender 23 and they made a good point in the "pro" column of the review - Transom isn't too far from outboard motors, meaning you can clear your rod tip when fighting deep-slugging fish from a dead boat.  

They are nice boats but for me the idea of a centre console clashes a bit with the need for long range ability and fuel tanks.  A 100km run to my spot means at least an overnight trip, the centre console just doesn't provide enough shelter or storage I think.  A centrecab gives you somewhere to sit and store sleeping gear out of the wet and also provides a bit more of an anchor point for a sleeping shelter system to be setup from - attached a pic of one example i've found, would be handy for sleeping on the deck with showers around etc.

Twin engines...hurts the hip pocket but the reliability/back up when you're really remote could be a real saver.  How much does a 250km tow from the outer GBR cost these days?  ???

And Janelle - i'll add lure changing, leader tying, hook sharpening lackey to the list just for you  :D  

Great points Steve - have thought about the liferaft option...another plus for the more solid roof of a centrecab.  Having it on a hydrostatic release would have to be the best option rather than in storage or sitting on the deck

Janelle O'Connell

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
And Janelle - i'll add lure changing, leader tying, hook sharpening lackey to the list just for you   
  Thanks Travis

Mind you I do have a bit of a problem with this topic - I have spent the whole day walking around thinking of other things I want on a GT boat, bit of a different train of thought to my usual daydreams.  Haven't got much work done but I have spent the other 2 million that I won in the same daydream.

Janelle

MikeOsborn

Ive been dreaming about a new trailerboat recently........ ;D

7.5m hardtop centre cabin with a small double berth underneath. Aluminum

twin 140 suzuki's

padded combings

Bait tanks

Tuna Tubes in the Gunwhales

built in cooler bins

Big padded lean post/rod holder/rigging station/cup holder :P in the centre of the deck

fresh water pump/shower and tank

salt water pump for the fishies

casting post up the front

Collapsable tower on the roof

Raymarine c120 with all the fruit

dvd

Flir

2 really hot blonde crew members in bikinis..........

........its all too much to think about ;D ;D

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Janelle O'Connell

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
Greg, Last time I checked Duncan's wish list had about four boats on it each for a different style of fishing.

I told him to keep dreaming............

With our last boat we did exactly what is being done here.  We wrote a huge list of everything we wanted then started sketching ideal layouts and it went from there.  Having said that two years after we got the boat we ripped out part of it and put new rear cast decks in.  You will find that once you get the boat and start using it you will find things you want to change.  The hardest bit with ours is we can't add the extra metre to the hull   ;D

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Id like a boat to start with, and then have the mods as suggested...Ive been out fishing when its dark and I reckon the best would be to have FLIR fitted. It would increase safety by miles by allowing you to see where the heck you are driving. Might not be too applicable to GT boats though.

As for securing lures to rods rigged, you can always use things like shimano rod wraps made from velco instead of connecting to a guide or reel.
Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:04:24 PM by Andrew Poulos

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Andrew, Shimano has a lure wrap, it closes like a wallet with velcro on three sides, they are fiddley but do work.

SHIMANO Description
'Lure Protectors are available in three sizes (4?, 5? and 7?), these innovative wallets stop metal jigs and even barra lures from bouncing around when travelling from fishing spots or even in the car, thereby eliminating tangles, but also protecting the rod blank, guides and hook points'.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hmm, havent seen those. Will have to have another look around.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hmm, havent seen those. Will have to have another look around.

Not like you Squidgie, is married life slowing you down
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Not like you Squidgie, is married life slowing you down

Must be....will have to do something about that  :D

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Greg, Last time I checked Duncan's wish list had about four boats on it each for a different style of fishing.

I told him to keep dreaming............

With our last boat we did exactly what is being done here.  We wrote a huge list of everything we wanted then started sketching ideal layouts and it went from there.  Having said that two years after we got the boat we ripped out part of it and put new rear cast decks in.  You will find that once you get the boat and start using it you will find things you want to change.  The hardest bit with ours is we can't add the extra metre to the hull   ;D

Hi Janelle, if you dont mind me asking what is your and Duncans current boat?  And are the things on your wishlist things you wish you had added or things you would get again?  On your current boat what works and what doesn't?  As you've been through the process before it would be good to hear a few more details!  :) 

I'm seriously thinking of not spending so much on a new house and building this boat of mine.... :D  (ie - i'll be living in a tent but at least i'll have a flash new 7.2m centrecab  ::) ;D)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I'm seriously thinking of not spending so much on a new house and building this boat of mine.... :D  (ie - i'll be living in a tent but at least i'll have a flash new 7.2m centrecab  ::) ;D)

That's what I like to hear  ;)

Who are you thinking of getting to build your boat Travis?

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Jay - so much number crunching going on :)

At this stage i'm looking at Jopalo -> http://www.jopaloboats.com/  Spoke to the bloke, George, today and he sounded very good, full custom builds, built to survey spec, 10 year structural warranty on the hulls. 

Not entirely sensible but that Shoalwater trip whet my appetite badly.  :)