Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Jay - so much number crunching going on :)

At this stage i'm looking at Jopalo -> http://www.jopaloboats.com/  Spoke to the bloke, George, today and he sounded very good, full custom builds, built to survey spec, 10 year structural warranty on the hulls. 

Not entirely sensible but that Shoalwater trip whet my appetite badly.  :)

Best plate boats I have ever ridden in. Period.  8)

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Jay - so much number crunching going on :)

At this stage i'm looking at Jopalo -> http://www.jopaloboats.com/  Spoke to the bloke, George, today and he sounded very good, full custom builds, built to survey spec, 10 year structural warranty on the hulls. 

Not entirely sensible but that Shoalwater trip whet my appetite badly.  :)

Best plate boats I have ever ridden in. Period.  8)

That, is very good to hear Luke!  :D  Which style have you ridden in? Haven't ridden in one myself but they just look well made, with care to detail and highly practical.  Plus reviews, the few i've seen, have always been good. 

Isaac Denny

... *snip*... They are nice boats but for me the idea of a centre console clashes a bit with the need for long range ability and fuel tanks.  A 100km run to my spot means at least an overnight trip, the centre console just doesn't provide enough shelter or storage I think.  A centrecab gives you somewhere to sit and store sleeping gear out of the wet and also provides a bit more of an anchor point for a sleeping shelter system to be setup from - attached a pic of one example i've found, would be handy for sleeping on the deck with showers around etc. ...*snip*...

Come on Trav - sure you aren't flexible on this one?! eh? eh....?  :P

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Something like this I think.  Lovely casting space at the front there  8).

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jamie Moir

Need a bit of a run-up to get it into the shallows though.

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Mark,

What the hell????

What sort of boat is that & where did you get the picture from?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Just a random ridiculous super yacht Brock :).

Good range on it I reckon.  Not sure how much the teak deck would appreciate copious quantiities of slime though.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
We saw this boat at Hamilton Is on the Elusive trip last year, where Jeanna put it up as the next Nomad mother ship.
Found out later it was James Packer's toy.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
OK presumably this will be a trailer boat right?

Well for this size trailer boat a glass boat is going to be lighter :)  Yep lighter.
For a plate boat you need a good deep Vee & deep entry hull design but this will tend to make it a little "rocky" when stationary.

It needs to be a plate boat because of the boat ramps in most places where you chase GTs. With a glass boat you need a jetty or beach to land on to go & get the car, a boat ramp with even  small waves will quickly pound a glass boat to death. Coral does much worse :(
For a boat this big you generally need a boat ramp. You also need a large4x4 or a light truck to tow it with.

Perhaps a tarp to stretch from the centre console roof/windshield  back to removable poles for a place to sleep when it rains?

Whatever the boat the deck should be self draining. You need to be able to stand with your toes against the side of the boat & have the padded gunnels against your thighs even if that makes the gunnels fairly wide. There needs to be toe rails along the deck close to the sides to hook feet into. You will be stable to cast regardless of the swell/sea conditions.

You need grab rails for the guys casting, so when the driver is getting in really close to those breakers on the reef he can manoeuvre suddenly without everyone ending up on the floor.

All the other things everyone suggested as well bait/kill tank for the fish you will eat on the overnight trips.

A smaller boat would be better but wont get you as far. :(

It will also have twin engines and underdeck  fuel tanks with a main of say 250 litres and a couple more of 150 litres each  under the gunnels on each side

I think in most states the inflatable lifejackets have to be certified yearly and the manufactures usually wont do the inspection (not cost effective) so you may need new ones each year to stay legal.

Mounted on the boat will be all the normal GPS, radios, sounders plotters etc but also an external aerial & charger set-up for your mobile phone. If the budget will stretch then a sattephone as well  :)

Invest in an autopilot. For long trips it si the best investment you will make. It is much safer as concentration tends to wander a bit when you are tired after 3 days of casting & boating lots  of 60kg plus fish  ;)

Rod storage is always a problem on a casting boat so maybe under the gunnels rather than vertical. On a boat this big its probably at least a 2 man trip so that means 6 or more so rods and even more if its a long way out or an overnight trip.

Would probably go for an anchor winch & chain, since its mainly coral areas and we can use a bigger anchor in the tidal flows when overnighting  :)

We could go one better and use a 7.5 metre "normal" boat and tow a 5 metre dory with only basic stuff  :) You just need a light truck to pull the big boat and the dory sits on the back of the truck  ;D
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Peter Agapiou

32 yellowfin  with triple 300hp with tower,trailerable

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Isn't the 32 Yellowfin boat close 3 metres wide, which makes it non trailable certainly in Australia unless as a wide load. Also the I think the weight is up there (which is why you need the big engine (& fuel bill!)). Even a 6.5 metre boat is not as manoeuvrable in close to reefs as say a 5metre so this would be worse.
Ideal operating out of a marina though  :)
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

AustralianAngling

The best boat - somebody else's.

IT'S SMARTER TO CHARTER

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:

The best boat - somebody else's.

IT'S SMARTER TO CHARTER

If it  FLY'S, FLOATS or F***S,   your better off paying for it by the hour   ;)

Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
no one has mentioned inboards??