MikeOsborn

NZ Topwater Kingi's
January 10, 2009, 08:27:32 PM
we hit the motherload the other night with a huge school of 12-18kg kingfish on a really aggressive bite for over 2 hours.

20 good fish were landed and released with some spectacular hits

and the vid to go with the missing hook.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9F_Bqw-gY#noexternalembed

opened out owner sj41's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0VIYXkjrko#noexternalembed

a few of he hits on the stickbait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3zDTYFhYFk#noexternalembed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q13cPgho2h8#noexternalembed

Not quite GT's but the went hard

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NZ Topwater Kingi's
January 10, 2009, 08:48:49 PM
Good to see them coming on the stickbaits Mike, we had a solid day at White Is last Sunday, lots of rats but a couple over 20kg all on jigs, but next trip to NZ I'll have the stickbait gear as well. I jigged Kapiti Is on Boxing Day where the surface potential is unreal, most of the jigging is in 12-25m deep.
Check out the jig team from Kapiti ;D

Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:12:14 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Ian Young

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 10, 2009, 10:00:47 PM
Hi Mike

Those Xzogas are pretty amazing looking...seem much slimmer than any other serious popping sticks. What sort of drag were you fishing on that one that ripped out the middle treble? Also, where did you get those rods?

Great fishing
Ian

MikeOsborn

January 11, 2009, 08:07:11 AM
Hey Ian, we were fishing with 15-20kg on the stella 20k which handled it great, the rod however is only a pe5 rod rated to 10kg drag ::) I think I will wait and get a nice heavier smith in the future

at the moment thats the only option in the shops apart from the shimano GT rod in auckland. My buddy who builds and repairs my rods brings in the xzoga range and happened to bring in some popper rods which I snapped up to go with the ret of my jig rods(as you do) ;D. I think it will be much better matched up with stella 8000 or saltiga4500 but at the moment it does the job.

looks like ya got some ok fish with the kapiti inflatable brigade greg ;D
are you trading up/down to one?
Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:12:13 AM by MikeOsborn

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 11, 2009, 09:51:12 AM
Great action Mike, the kings are running here as well and next trip I'll take some sticks out and see if I can get them off the bottom.
Will try and get some footage of the new model Shimano GT special and Ripple fisher 7'8 PF with a bend in them.
How deep was the water you fished and did you burley to raise them.
keep the reports coming.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 11, 2009, 10:12:51 AM
looks like ya got some ok fish with the kapiti inflatable brigade greg ;D
are you trading up/down to one?

The Kapiti experience was unique to say the least, especially finishing the day with fresh Paua fritters and Crayfish ;D

I was in the Westcoaster for White Island :)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Ian Young

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 11, 2009, 01:09:01 PM
Hi Mike...Thanks cobber. I'm half looking for a rod to match a JDM Twinpower 8000 with PE4/5. Might keep an eye out for a Xzoga (weird name!).
Ian

MikeOsborn

January 11, 2009, 05:53:41 PM
Darren. look forward to those pics. we didnt use any burley but it is a 13m rock rising out of 50m and the kings were sitting high in the water column. I seldom use berly for kingfish now as difting and jigging/popping is a far better method of locating the fish I think.

Ian, I know the name sounds funny ;D I just like supporting my mates shop and the gear hasn't let me down yet. I have a 350g rod to match the stella which is designed with pitchbaiting in mind and is always hooked to a livebait whenever we are offshore. All the boys kingi cherries have been popped with the 350.... a stripey or big yellowfin is next

Greg
cant beat paua and crays. it took 3 of us an hour to find 3 legal paua up here so those boys are definatley lucky in that respect. I'm a big fan of the westcoaster's.......my kind of heavy duty trailer boat, I am going to do one more season in my boat then go for a 7m+ battletank to get me everywhere I want to go.

We have only been doing the popper thing for a few years and up until now havent had the gear to do it properly, now I am putting in the time the results seem to be getting better. I had a quick session this arvo where we got 3 very nice fish to follow the popper but no takes......we will be back as they were 20-30kg maybe in 10m of water haha.

have you got access to sst's at the moment? have a look at the eastern BOP sst......I have heard of YFT coming out of the very very warm blob on the coast towards east cape. its too far for us to tow but not if you are still in the Mount it could be an option. if not send me a pm ;)
Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:06:40 PM by MikeOsborn

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 11, 2009, 06:58:11 PM
Back in Qld now mate, I've already put my T shirts away  ;D what heat  :-\
Surprise catch, caught a nice Terakhi with a soft bait in the shallows close to the Island and a Parrot Fish

Reports of lots of Albies as well
Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:12:51 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 11, 2009, 10:33:32 PM
Well done mate,i just watched the ITM fishing DVD as they done one with kings in it,from jigging to live baiting to off the rocks and soft plastics and topwater poppers,its insane,the amounts of big kings that get caught and also how many follow the poppers to the boat is outa control...The IFISH guys go there and just get blown away...

MikeOsborn

January 13, 2009, 11:48:51 AM
Nathan thats a great DVD

the spot we were fishing with poppers is only about 5miles down the coast from where that ITM popper footage was shot and we had been there earlier but couldnt find a fish over 6kg

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 13, 2009, 01:30:59 PM
Well done mate,i just watched the ITM fishing DVD as they done one with kings in it,from jigging to live baiting to off the rocks and soft plastics and topwater poppers,its insane,the amounts of big kings that get caught and also how many follow the poppers to the boat is outa control...The IFISH guys go there and just get blown away...

I thought you would like the DVD. Pretty depressing when comparing to Sydney kings.