Adrian Wong

How you fight GT in the shallow.
January 10, 2009, 12:37:23 AM
Hi guys! I'm new here from Singapore.

Went Lombok(Indonesia) few weeks back to target GTs, but luck not on our side for first 2 days. It's only the third day that the fishes bites  >:(. As that was my first GT trip, there were plenty of snapped lines due to wind knots and also lost fight to 'them'. By going through many threads, now I know how could avoid those annoying wind knots!  :o

But, how you guys 'manage' to stop these GTs in the shallow and rocky area? I think I lost about 10 of them due to cut offs, whether at main or leader line. Drag were set at about 12kg (Stella 10k) as I'm a beginner, I lost the first GT. Second strike I tried to apply 'palming' and that GT just keep spooling me till the leader was cut by rocks again... >:(. So, are there any other way you guys fight GT in these scenario?

Really appreciate gurus here to give me some advise...Hope I have another chance to go at them again soon!

Tight lines!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How you fight GT in the shallow.
January 10, 2009, 02:07:20 AM
Hi Adrian ,

Sound you just had a " GT baptism of fire " , in such situation we just have no other way but use the " no line out " technique , initial drag set starting at 15 kg and just hold the rod high n hope it will stop the big GT on it's track .

Langwan , a member of this forum , works in Lombok n if you drop him a pm , I am sure he can help you as he is an accomplished GT fisherman . Nothing better than going fishing with an experienced angler then just reading about how n what to do , in GT fishing .

I guess what you experienced is what makes GT fishing such an exciting way to fight a fish , the outriggers on my boat have been dismantled and my trolling outfits are gathering dust , since 2001 .

Jon .   
Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:22:20 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2009, 08:23:53 AM
Hi Adrian

Jon has summed it up pretty well!

If you are fishng in shallow rock areas, you need to be able to load up to the fish as quickly as possible and try to take the initiative from the fish. By that, what I mean is that if you can get the rod into the gimbal, load up and get as many winds as you can onto the reel and get the rod high as Jon suggested, it makes it a lot harder for a fish to turn and/or dive. If a GT gets its head down in such an area, you're a goner.

When popping in such shallow areas, I will often pop with the rod in the gimbal and just use short sharp lifts of the rod to pop the popper. That way, as soon as it is hooked, I am in a position to put as much pressure on the fish as I can. The sooner you can do this, the better the chance you have of extracting the fish.

You also need a much higher drag setting. In such areas, I tend to wind the drag right up and just grit my teeth and hope!

Can I say, it doesn't matter what you do or how good a fisherman you are - in such areas, you are going to get done by your share of fish irrespective. Also, big fish in such areas are unstoppable.Trying to extract a 50kg fish from a shallow rocky area is all luck. In fact, in such an area, you might actually be better off free-spooling on a huge fish and hoping it swims out. You certainly won't be able to pull it out.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2009, 09:48:59 AM
A good skipper helps if there is deeper water nearby.  On hook-up if you are running a tight drag and get the initiative over the fish straight away, as Brandon said, the skipper should be able to use the boat to get the fish out into deeper water by driving away from the structure.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 10, 2009, 01:00:30 PM
Agree with above posts  ;D

I think you've now jumped the first hurdle - you've successfully been taught numerous lessons by GT and now know that you need all the luck you can get, need to fish smart and hope that GT makes a mistake you can capitalise on  ;)

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2009, 01:05:12 PM
Hi Adrian.
I pop a fair bit in quite shallow water say from 6 to 10 feet.
As Jon said you need to hold that rod as high possible and moving the boat around helps.
The other thing that comes into play is rod length.
I find a rod around 8ft to 8ft 6 inches allows you to get more of the line out of the water.
Something to consider if you will mostly be fishing in very shallow water.

Adrian Wong

January 10, 2009, 02:41:59 PM
Many thanks guys for the input  ;D. Well, I've lost some 'battles' with 'them' but nevertheless enjoyed my trip and the fights no doubt. It was so tiring popping for the first 2 days especially not 1 bite was recorded... >:(, but told myself not to give up just like that... :D.

Well, my set up were:
Rod: Eupro hammer 8' PE3-6,
Reel: Stella 10k,
Line : Berkley Whiplash 80lbs.

Friends onboard with me are all newbies to GT popping, so it actually makes me a more 'experinced' fisherman with other types of fishing like bottom and surfcasting. Maybe I didn't talk to staffs onboard enough to pick up pointers from them.  :D. I did thought of bringing the rod higher to slow those GT runs, but by doing this wouldn't it be increasing chances to break the rod? Maybe I need to get a new rod  ;D? I always tried to held rod at about 45 degree angle.

Although rod stated PE3-6, many friends who tried it commended that it should be in the PE8 rating. As for the reel, don't think stella would have any issue, but got myself another SW18k  :D. Think the area I got a bad choice was Whiplash here, many wind knots. Almost none when I switch to Varivas PE6.

Last but not least, like what you guys said.....LUCK! Should go to 'temple' for prayers before trip like this.... ;D. It happened so many times that when my popper hits the water besides those rocks, stirke came in within the first 2-3 pops of poppers. It was so close to these rocks that with a blink of an eye, the line was cut yet again.  :'(. Will practice my popping soon with the sails soon in West Malaysia.

Anyway, I'm really happy that I found this site so I could get advises from gurus like you guys here. ;D. Many thanks guys!

Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:51:17 PM by Adrian Wong

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2009, 04:41:37 PM
Hi Adrian ,

IMHO , you may need to upgrade your rod in order to be " on par " with the reel you are using .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2009, 04:45:24 PM

Langwan , a member of this forum , works in Lombok n if you drop him a pm , I am sure he can help you as he is an accomplished GT fisherman . Nothing better than going fishing with an experienced angler then just reading about how n what to do , in GT fishing .

Jon .   

:-[  :-[ Jon you are far more accomplished than I...haaaa but thanks.

Hi Adrian,

Just read your last post, you have to 'gear up' for south coast of lombok, I presume that is where you were?? The geology of the south coast is particularly hard on fishing, the raggedness of the shallow outcrops and texture of those volcanics will sever a good leader quickly, let alone braid.

I have fished off the rocks there enough to have pretty much given up the cause for a sea-bourne approach.

Yep your going to need a more powerful rod which you already know, and maybe PE10 as large loners are present. Try 4 to 5 m of 200+lb nylon leader, reduce the amount of line on your spool so you can sit that extra leader 'in' the spool when casting and avoid wind knots, smooth casting technique will also reduce wind knots. You will also need a slim leader connection like a PR or FG knot so it will sit on the spool and go through the guides without catching. As is also suggested by Jon up your initial drag setting, with that and good boat work you will have a better chance of keeping the fish's head up and away from the razor sharp and abundant snags.

Nothing new here, it is all stated above...welcome to the money hole   ;) ;)...enjoy

Cheers
Andy
AKA langwan on another forum
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 11, 2009, 10:18:48 AM
Adrian, it looks to me like you're completely outgunned on gear at the moment. Provided you can handle it, I'd suggest you look at moving up to PE10 in both the line and the rod. I have no familiarity with the rod you have but in shallow water on even 15 to 20kg fish, you're going to get your butt kicked with the weight of the gear you're currently using   :D

I don't think there is much more anyone can add to what has already been written - you need to be able to take up the load on the fish as quickly as possible and for the boat captain to be able to get you in deeper water on hook-up.

Finally - there are some experienced anglers but no gurus here. If you fish enough for GTs, you get your butt tanned too often to have any claim on guru status!  :D

Adrian Wong

January 11, 2009, 10:21:40 PM
Many thanks guys.

Well, I think I just need to load up the new SW18k with PE8 lines and get myself a new PE10 rod. Any good budget rod recommendations in that aspect?  ;)

Tight lines!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2009, 12:03:07 AM
the only budget rod I can think of that would do the job is the Shimano GT Special

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2009, 01:18:57 AM
Adrian ,

Why bother with budget rod , afterall if you are serious with the sport you will end up buying the standard of the industries' rod ? Go for the best rod you can afford , the price should be one that is on par with the reels you are currently using .

Jon .

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 12, 2009, 12:37:11 PM
I've used a Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu Surface Monster and found it pretty good for a budget rod.

Caught a nice gt with it in east Malaysia last year.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2009, 01:13:54 PM
I've used a Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu Surface Monster and found it pretty good for a budget rod.

Caught a nice gt with it in east Malaysia last year.

Yeah one of the heavier Kaibutsu's would probably do it, I'm pretty sure they're available quite easily in Singapore.