Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Night GT Popping
January 13, 2009, 08:57:00 PM
I had an interesting experience on the weekend, popped the lead up to the full moon on Friday night. The tides weren't as big as I would have liked (I find the other side of the full moon has alot more movement and more action), but there was plenty of light to see the popper plus any strikes.

I had one of the most consistent sessions I've had but the unusual thing was that very few (I only recall one) of the hits resulted in a hookup. Most of the time the fish missed the popper completely. Has anybody else had this happen to them??

Does anybody have any tactics to improve the hookup rate when fishing at night??

Neale Bird

Re: Night GT Popping
January 13, 2009, 09:04:59 PM
Happy birthday for tomorrow Jay ;) ;D

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 13, 2009, 09:06:58 PM
Happy Birthday Jay

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 13, 2009, 09:10:06 PM
Cheers guys  ;D

Laurent Thiriet

January 16, 2009, 10:38:17 AM
hi

I had very good jigging session in full moon night last year in new caledonia where i live
for popping, perhaps it would be good to had light to the baits
or to make be pop with long pause after an so on?

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 16, 2009, 11:25:30 AM
Happpy birthday mate! ;)

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 16, 2009, 01:31:59 PM
I swear both Warwick and I had a post in this thread Jay...any else see them or am I going crazy??

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 16, 2009, 02:46:11 PM
I swear both Warwick and I had a post in this thread Jay...any else see them or am I going crazy??

Yes you did...the temporary crash seems to have wiped some stuff.

Your point on the dark popper giving a better silhouette on a bright moon seems real logical, I think I have read recommendations on this approach before. Longer pauses too another logical point.

Cheers
Set the ray to GeeT

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 16, 2009, 03:32:18 PM
It would seem some kind of error has occurred. At the moment - I cannot explain it, but I noticed a post by Travis to which I could not access. Apologies guys.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 16, 2009, 08:48:53 PM
Not your fault Luke.  Wasn't sure what was going down due to IT shenanigans out here at work.

Regarding lures at night - i reccomend dark lures for greater shadow simply because that is what I have read - when I think about it though it makes me wonder...does a white lure with light directly over head cast a stronger shadow than a dark lure with light directly overhead?  Difficult to answer but it can only be better as far asd I am concerned.  Another point I thought of just then is maybe use a lure like the FCL Labo Ebipop - for its weight it has a better length than most other lures, this may improve your hook ratio (providing hook coverage is relative) simply because the lure covers a better area.

The post of mine that is missing that you were looking for Luke - what was it?  I doubt it was anything useful  :D ;)But happy to post my thoughts again :)
Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:05:55 PM by travis heaps

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 16, 2009, 10:10:54 PM
Ok this is all based on my experience with barra in impoundments. Black lures do work better, you need to have the moon up, we used large fizzers that create a lot of noise with long pauses, and we still missed 80% of strikes . What we did discover however was that if you work as a team , one can tease the fish with the popper/fizzer while the lucky one fishes a shallow running lure (read stickbait) closely behind to get the positive hits. This method turned agressive misses on the teaser into massive hookups on the sticks like clockwork.
I think chasing GTs at night would be the ultimate rush....not for the faint hearted!!!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 16, 2009, 11:12:16 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, it's interesting because I was using a Black Epipop ;D Anyway, I think I was doing everything right and I'll put it down to not enough current (fish not being aggressive enough).

Will need to try again on different tides I think.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 17, 2009, 12:07:45 AM
Bwahaha  - black ebipop epitomises all of my theories and yet - no dice.   :D  Lets face it Jay - you were just doing it WRONG  ;) ;) ;)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 17, 2009, 01:29:12 PM
Bwahaha  - black ebipop epitomises all of my theories and yet - no dice.   :D  Lets face it Jay - you were just doing it WRONG  ;) ;) ;)

haha, that must be it  :D