Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Home-made creations
January 16, 2009, 12:08:07 PM
G'day people,

Last time this topic was discussed, some of you showed interest in seeing some of the GT lures I have been making. Well I have finally got a few pics together. Sure, they are not a patch on Chris Youngs sensational looking poppers, but these lures do get bites from big GT's, though sadly, I have yet to land a GT on one due to inadequate rods/reels/line class/drag/etc etc!   :-\ So my best lures are actually not in the photo, as they have already been eaten.

Anyway, the lures have been made with a thru-wire system, sealed with marine epoxy to resist the crunching jaws. A few of the stickbaits have a skin of holographic foil tape, and I'm sure most of you can guess where that idea came from.  ::) ;). The pink stickbait (bottom of pic) is very similar to a holographic blue one which was monstered by an absolute horse of a GT on a recent trip up north, and was never recovered.  :-[

The nomad cubera 150 on the right is there for size comparison, which shows that some of my lures are quite large.

Any comments, suggestions, or criticisms you might have are very welcome, as this is a bit of a learning curve for me.

Thanks
Angus

PS. The lure in the trouts mouth is the same one seen 2nd from the top left of lure photo.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Home-made creations
January 16, 2009, 01:30:01 PM
Nice work Angus. All you need to catch fish is right there I reckon, as long as it holds together and has the colour on it then the GTs aren't going to be too fussed about the detail of the paint job :)

Can't wait to have a go at making some - just need my own shed space.

And that Trout - sheesh it's wild looking!

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 16, 2009, 01:41:03 PM
Thanks Travis, the lures themselves will hold together, I am sure of that. They are made in a similar way to the expensive store-bought ones, only I use an even heavier gauge stainless wire. The paint might come off a bit eventually, but the finishes have several clear coats over the top, so we'll see.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 16, 2009, 09:57:57 PM
Hi Angus, any tips on the wire twisting??  Warwick can nail it but for me its the most critical factor - I just can't do it.  Do you have a jig made up to assist twisting or all by hand??

Also - Australia is one of the worlds premium GT popping destinations yet our home made tackle industry is ridiculously poor, besides Full Scale there is no other pure bred aussie options.  You obviously have the tools to do the job - have you thought about making lures for sale?  To put it bluntly you would need to refine both your paint and morphology (my favourite is the top right hand pencil - the rest need refinement, if I dare to be so blunt  :)).  Please note that this is coming from someone who hopes to make their own lures shortly and would hope to recieve similar positive criticism!!  :D

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 16, 2009, 11:05:52 PM
Hi Angus

They look the goods mate, certainly as good as anything I did when I was starting out. And they are getting eaten which is the very best evidence you could wish for. ;D I still have a couple of my original lures in the shed, man there's some fuglies in there, one of which is about the same size as the one in your pic(above the Cubera), that particular lure was mauled by many GT's and Whalers up to 9ft but had a shocking hook-up rate, even a 10/0 treble was too small to fit around its belly (no hook exposure) .

I can see by the sticks that you have got the wire down to a fine art now.

Looks like I might have some competition.

Cheers

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 17, 2009, 12:16:03 AM
Hi Angus

They look the goods mate, certainly as good as anything I did when I was starting out. And they are getting eaten which is the very best evidence you could wish for. ;D I still have a couple of my original lures in the shed, man there's some fuglies in there, one of which is about the same size as the one in your pic(above the Cubera), that particular lure was mauled by many GT's and Whalers up to 9ft but had a shocking hook-up rate, even a 10/0 treble was too small to fit around its belly (no hook exposure) .

I can see by the sticks that you have got the wire down to a fine art now.

Looks like I might have some competition.

Cheers

Hey Chris - your lures do look great, congrats on getting them up and going, any tips you'd like to share with us amateurs would be greatly appreciated!  :D  I couldn't believe my eyes when you released them - I had a sketch drawn up for a proto that was near identical shape (ie the design idea was castability, weight focused towards the rear to streamline the casting energy yet providing enough bouyancy to keep the cup exposed for maximum bloop, close??  :P) - congrats on releasing it first but damn, its frustrating when you're second!   

Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:17:57 AM by travis heaps

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 17, 2009, 08:52:59 AM
Hey Travis , it's interesting you say that about the shape of the Kongs.
The very first lure I made was basically "that" shape and it worked, Unfortunatly Duncan donated it to the GT pool room in Weipa. Since then it has been tweeked and changed many times to come up with the current shape.
As far as tips go...probably the best tip is to make what YOU like to fish with and use the very best materials you can find, be prepared to throw out (or give away) the failures,
I know there are hundreds of my old creations out there that will come back to haunt me one day  ::)I currently have about a dozen new shapes and sizes in the spray booth, one of which is a very special one for Donkey :-X

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 17, 2009, 06:26:29 PM
Mate great job on the poppers,well done and may many big GT's come upon them..

They look tha goods and wish i had my own little room to make my own,the only part that would get me a bit worried is the wire twisting!!

Any hints?

Ivan Verhage

January 17, 2009, 08:08:40 PM
thoughs are nice poppers

if you want to mix things up a bit...
a nother excelent finish can be acheived by seeling the wood with something like flowcoat which does not eaven itself out when it dries so you can see the brush strokes and rises and bumpes then paint the lure with a fluro colour then paint a darker colour over it
when it is dry lightley sand the darker colour back to reveile the fluro colour at the tops of the brush strokes

flow coat is also very durable
ill post a pic

cheers
ivan

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 18, 2009, 06:39:57 PM
Hi all, thanks for your comments

Travis, and those who were interested in the wire twisting, in fact there is no special tools I use, just a set of normal pliers, a set of long nose pliers, and a standard bench vice. I form the loop with a long nose pliers, and then when it's nearly closed,I clamp it into the vice tightly, and twist the tag around around the standing section of wire in 2-3 tight barrel rolls.   Trust me, many practice runs went into getting wire eyelets that look decent enough to hang hooks off.  ;) And even now, it's a bit messy! However, I have read somewhere that round-nose pliers get an even more professional result when it comes to forming the wire loop. Sadly, I have not tracked down a pair of those pliers yet.

Travis, yeah, I have a few fishing mates who have suggested similar things regarding selling lures, but I am always quick to point out (as you rightly have also) that i would need to get a lot more professional finishes, paint jobs and all-round refinements to sell anything I make. Plus, no 2 lures I make are identical! . That would be a major issue for keen-eyed lure purchasers, I suspect :) So, in order to reach a professional standard, I would need to obtain specialized and professional tools (not to mention knowledge). So then the costs would mount up.

Chris, don't worry about any competition from me at this stage mate, I am probably years away (in terms of knowledge), and thousands of dollars away (in terms of equipment) from any of your work  :D

Ivan, thanks for that tip on the flowcoat, sounds like something I will try for sure. Anything that produces a smoother basic lure body is going to be a great help to my final products. Technique is safely filed away in my tips book! Please do post a pic if you can manage it.

Nathan, yeah, I have only set up a wobbly little work bench under my house, which is unbelievably basic.....so it doesn't take much to start up such an operation.

Cheers fellas

Angus

Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:44:54 PM by Angus Hulme

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 18, 2009, 06:45:46 PM
Thanks for the tips on the wire.  Wawick can get it but I crumble under the pressure of getting the rear twist right once the others are donae and in the lure!! :D

So, in order to reach a professional standard, I would need to obtain specialized and professional tools (not to mention knowledge)...

Getting the knowledge is the fun part Angus - more fishin!  ;)

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 18, 2009, 06:50:55 PM
yep, true travis, however I was more meaning the knowledge of how certain lures are made, and what methods are needed to produce a well-finished final product. GT's don't care how well finished the lure is, I know that, but some well-heeled GT anglers obviously do!  :D

Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:52:44 PM by Angus Hulme

Ivan Verhage

January 18, 2009, 08:24:17 PM
here is a pic

Ewan Macleod

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 18, 2009, 09:26:40 PM
here is a pic

Looks great - I could see a nice reflective silver strip sticker and an eye sticker to finish that off...

Ivan Verhage

January 18, 2009, 09:36:27 PM
yeah i normally do but never got around to it with this lure