Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PR knot length
January 20, 2009, 07:24:58 PM
Hi all,

When casting poppers, how long do you make your PR knot ?
4-5 cm or up to 10cms as per some knot guides....

cheers
andrew

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: PR knot length
January 20, 2009, 07:33:33 PM
Andrew,

From what i believe it is from 7-10cm, but it just depends on the andglers choice & preferance just as leader lenght is made to what you feel confortable with, i think Brandon could be the one to speak to about this one as he uses this knot, as i am not sure who else uses it.

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 20, 2009, 08:33:13 PM
Andrew,
I've been using PR knots for a couple of years now casting poppers and have yet to experience a failure. Mine seem to average around 6 or 7 cms. Likewise with jigging, same length, no problems to date.

malcolm

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 20, 2009, 08:34:41 PM
Mine is about 10cm all up with the half hitch sections.Its the same design as per the midknot which is usually shorter anyway. I was looking at making it shorter to aid with casting so I'll tie up one and try it on the scales and the tree and see how it goes and if there is slippage etc.I dont think dropping some cm's will make a diff on strength either.

cheers

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 20, 2009, 08:37:33 PM
Malcolm,

Good to hear from you. Do you carry spare spools for quick fix & then re tie later that night?

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 20, 2009, 08:46:01 PM
Brock,
I've found that's the most effective way to work. A couple of pre-prepared spare spools and you're back in action in minutes. Re-do any damaged leaders that night at your leisure ready for the next day. Means investing in a couple of spare spools but thats a small cost in comparison to the overall cost of a trip.