Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Central Queensland, 23/01
January 23, 2009, 09:37:14 PM
Hey all, got out for a spot of popping today.  Plan was to camp out overnight but the sloppy swell meant no good anchorage could be found and the island we planned to stay at had no good spot to land - as my lil craft can just sleep two we decided that three was a push and ran for home. I digress  :)

We left Rosslyn Bay Marina at around 5:30 this morning and headed north.  The swell was very sloppy in the bay and made for slow progress.  We got to our first spot though and even with the dirty water and scum decided to have a cast.  First one was a shocker - persisted with the retrieve though and bloody hell!  Four foot of spaniard launched itself a good 5 metres into the air after trying to eviscerate my skipjack 120 just 10 metres or so from the boat.  Was awesome..and unsure how I missed the hookup - the new lure had solid teeth marks dead centre between the two hook mounts.  I think a spaniard on a popper is number one on my wishlist at the moment, shame it didnt stick, still made my day though - and it was only the first cast! No more luck there so onto spot B.

Oh I should mention our crew for the day - myself, Warwick and my brother Dale.  I should also mention the quote of the day at this stage - Dale, my brother was feeling a bit queasy.. "my face is numb, my legs are numb, my hands are numb and I can't feel my eyes"  :D

So feeling sorry for him we pulled up in the lee of island and had a cast...first cast missed strike, second missed strike - third we're on!  A solid fight we had our first fish on board - the photo should be here somewhere, me, my beard and my GT.

Next up is Dale, a solid fish as well.  He was feeling much better after his catch and remarked that if they could put that thrill in a pill then all seasickness forever will be cured!  His photo should be next - him, gt and bad, bad green sunglasses  :P.

I then hooked up again, a smaller specimen his time.

Starting to sulk and blame his gear  :D ;) MC then had some luck and extracted a nice GT from a precarious location, required some speedy reversing of the boat and dragging of the fish into open water.  It was around this stage he remarked that "its not that big".  Cure next photo of him with feet braced against the gunwhales  :D  Another nice fish, they all seemed to be a similar size.  

After this we shifted sites, the rest of the day passed with no significant caputures - a very nice lost fish on a jig due to poor gear maintenance  :-[ :-[ annoyed me so bad, especially since I had pulled the drag apart and redone it on the boat.  It failed me though and I lost a good fish.  MC landed another GT from ridiculously rough, washing machine-esque water.  In the same area we missed a bunch of strikes and we snipped off on jigs.  One jig Warwick did exctract had a 1mm deep gouge along its width after a half hearted strike - big spaniards we around but none landed.  

Shifted spots again, trolled and cast for none but the longest long tom i've ever seen...and hooked right at the base of the jaw...cranky bugger it was too.  I happily volunteered for trace holding duties and left the de-hooking to Warwick.

That sums it up - long slog home but good to be back for beverage and some air-con rather than rain and the floor of a centre console for a bed  :D  Lures of the day - Skipjack 150 with Baker rigged Gorilla 9/0s in middle and gorilla 10/0 and rear - we tried with Baker rigged SJ-41s and a Owner assist rear but it was too light.  Attached is a photo or two, the lure was brand new and unmarked as of this morning :)

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Central Queensland, 23/01
January 23, 2009, 09:59:35 PM
Sorry for the delay on the photos for anyone thats read the post prior to this...am on a mac.  I own one but still struggle with it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 23, 2009, 10:12:14 PM
Nice work Travis, looks like a good day popping  ;D

Jason Sladden

January 24, 2009, 07:33:37 AM
Great trip Travis, I bet that spano will stick in your mind for a while. Not happy I missed the trip. New fuel pumps back in and test run the boat yesterday, so all go for the next one.

How were you working the Skipjack?

Slads

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 24, 2009, 08:33:19 PM
Nice work Travis, looks like a good day popping  ;D

Thanks Jay - was a really good day, had a ball.

Great trip Travis, I bet that spano will stick in your mind for a while. Not happy I missed the trip. New fuel pumps back in and test run the boat yesterday, so all go for the next one.

How were you working the Skipjack?

Slads

Hey Slads, spano will stick in my mind - was awesome!  Didn't realise the boat was ready to go as off yesterday...we headed out today as well, didn't see you out though :) Good weather and a few fish, fished more locally this time. 

Nothing special for the skipjacks, just the normal bloopbloop.  Very much my fave lure I think, easy to work, good presence and good splash.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 09:25:47 PM
Just a quick footnote - that spaniard on popper/stickbait I desperatley wanted??  Come day two I had it twice - and missed it twice!  :-[  First one I thought was a tuna - massive barrel shaped object annihalated my lure, thought it was a tuna but it sliced my assist hook rigged off the back of my skipjack in half a second - had to be a mack.  The second i'm more sure of, hooked on a dogtooth 80, got to boat side before it dehooked itself before landing  :'( :'( :'(!!!  My time will come >:( ;) :D

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 10:48:48 PM
G'day Travis, I get hits from the odd Spaniard when I'm GT fishing and one thing I've notice is they are a shocker for missing the stickbait. One thing is for sure though, they just about always get airborne which is a bit of a show  ;D

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 27, 2009, 11:05:13 AM
Brilliant report and pics Travis (and Warwick, Dale), thanks for sharing.

What outfits are you guys running? I thought I could see a Stella there in one of those pics, but what about rods and braid?

Looks like you are in a great location to go chasing GTs, did you head north from Yeppoon into the Shoalwater area, or not that far?

Thanks again
Angus

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 27, 2009, 03:27:52 PM
Gday Angus, yeahp they are Stella 10000's on T-Curve GT Specials.  I'm running 80lb tufline xp and Warwick has 80lb Powerpro, haven't had a problem with either.  We do have some nice spots to chase GTs up this way - they can make you work but they're there to be found.  These trips aren't up into Shoalwater  ;)