Halezan Hassan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Good Day,

Since most of you guys has true experience on GT Popping, or what I should say surface casting, from your experience, at shoalwater, what makes a different using fluoro or not.. percentage of fish bite and hookup. Thanks

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I use thick fluorocarbon " bite " leader not for the stealth characteristic of this particular resin but rather for the better abrasion characteristic , still use mono loeader with it though . Now it is different when freshwater fishing with diving / swimming lure / spoon , I tend to use fluorocarbon leader for the stealth n sinking characteristics of the leader .

I don't see any purpose of this stealth characteristic when surface fishing , afterall most of the time the leader is above the surface of the water anyway .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
100% agree with what Jon has said.

I would typically only use fluoro shock leader for sinking stickbait - even then, I also question how much 'noise' thick fluoro leader makes in comparison to standard nylon despite fluoro's refractive/invisible properties.

I would be happy to stick with standard nylon - but you may find yourself downsizing thickness - it's a trade-off, and usually depends on the area you are fishing.

Aaron Concord

I have seen no real difference in hook ups.
Though Fluorocarbon is a harder material to tie knots in and can slip due to its rigidness.
Using crimps, its hard nature can lead to over crimping/weakening, so make sure you use pliers to snug down any knots.