Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NEW SW TWINPOWER REEL 2009 MODEL
January 23, 2009, 01:33:35 PM
I just saw the NEW SW TWINPOWER REEL 2009 MODEL .

and now i want to get more info on them which it got me interesting on them .

as i have been looking for the old verison twinpower 8000 pg which i just brought one last week . but now i want the new model so i am trying to find out more on them so done any one know the info on them .

i know there was the new twinpower FC and it,s no good so i went looking for the old twinpower after i notice the new SW TWINPOWER

the sw twinpower reel look like it got the FA STELLA BODY WITH DIFFERENT SPOOL .

check out the photo .

i think they will be showen at the japen fishing tackle show .

Kevin Li

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: NEW SW TWINPOWER REEL 2009 MODEL
January 23, 2009, 02:10:02 PM
Last week I came across the US version the sustain 8000FE.I was very tempted to buy, it had the new ARC spool and came with a spare. It was selling for 450, well thought I realised I could get a stella 8000FA with a bit more.

The reel is very smooth.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 23, 2009, 06:43:27 PM
Releasing next month I gather. Hopefully they stop having US versions etc as they aren't as specced up as the Japanese ones but want similar money.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 23, 2009, 10:17:11 PM
G'day Mick, what don't you like about the FC TwinPower?

Ian Young

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 03:20:14 AM
Hiya

I don't think the Sustain FE, which has been out for about a year, is the same reel...the new Japanese Twinny seems to lack an anti-reverse, a la Stella. Spool, too is different, though that means little. I guess we'll know after the Japanese tackle shows. I'm interested to see the new Twinny close up ... I've got an 8000PG, which is just terrific.

Ian

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 06:43:39 PM
Twinpower and the Sustain are different with the Sustain being down on the bearing count among other things.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 07:19:24 PM
I've got the new Twinpower 10000FC and with the standard drag wound up tight... it pulls around 8kg on the scales.
I put a set of carbontex washers in the spare spool and now get a massive 9kg of drag ;)
I still like the reel... it's very smooth and sweet to use, but the drag stack is certainly no power-house.
<*///><

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 07:30:32 PM
G'day Mick, what don't you like about the FC TwinPower?

G,day jay

i was told the TW - FC is about 4-6kg of drag .
so it sound very weak to stop the big fish .
the old version TW is 10-15kg of drag which is better .

they are nice . i was told by another 3 shop said that the stella sw is a lot better than TW - FC

after i found the new TW - SW might think to be a better big brother to the FC model . i,d be happy to find out more about it and waiting on the spec for it .

I'm sorry mate but I have to speak out here and come down on you like a pile of bricks - what on earth are you talking about?

Of course the SW Stella is better than a TP FC - there is over $500.00 price point difference. You aren't comparing apples with apples.

And, perhaps you should use your own intellect or even contact Shimano regarding the drag - 4-6 kg? Are you joking Mick - now you just sound foolish.

Please Mick - think a bit more before posting.

Ian Young

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 12:28:31 AM
So is there anything definitive on the listed max drag of the Twinpower 10000FC? I'd been strongly considering this reel, but couldn't find the info. Emailed Shimano Oz a couple days ago, but no response yet. Nice looking reel, but the new JDM looks nice too.
Ian

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 01:37:17 AM
Umm....only 4-6kg??

Think about the purpose of the reel. If you want more drag out of a little reel, get a Stella. There's a reason the Stella has more drag and cost more.

What breaking strain do you want to fish on your Twinpower??? Wouldnt go any more than PE 4 for the largest one. The 10k FC Twinpower may have upto 10kg drag but you're gonna wear the reel quicker.
Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:42:09 AM by hon-su

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 08:16:59 AM
So is there anything definitive on the listed max drag of the Twinpower 10000FC?

There definately is a lack of info on this reel available... however, here's some info of my own tests(using Shimano scales) and some info I received from Shimano...

Max drag on spool #1 with standard drag washers = 8kg
Max drag on spool #2 with standard drag washers = 6kg
Max drag on spool #1 with Erskine Carbontex washers = just under 9kg

So I email Shimano with the info from my tests and immediately received the following reply from Tim at Dunphy Sports...

"This reel should get 9 kg, usually we can get a bit more out of them,
 you can send it up for me to look at if you like.
"

So I have now sent it up to Him... nice work by Shimano!

In conclusion, I still believe the Twinpower is a good investment... I got mine for around $450 and it comes with a spare spool. The drag is certainly not a powerhouse like the Stella, but it also doesn't have the pricetag of a Stella.
It's light @ 575g and has a good line capacity. I've got mine loaded with about 550m of 30lb Tufline(used on a 6-12kg spin rod) and the spare spool has about 400m of 50lb Tufline(used on a Zenaq FS53-8 jig rod).
For what I use it for, it's silky smoothe and suits both applications nicely.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion about this reel.

Cheers Rob
<*///><

Ian Young

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 01:23:26 PM
Thanks for going to the time to test your reel Robert. I got a response from Shimano today too..."about 20lb". Fair enough.
Cheers Ian

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 01:54:23 PM
Rob, thanks for that post. Also, your communique with Tim clarifies the issue.
Twinpowers are an excellent reel but you can't expect it to be a Stella. There is a reason why Stella's cost what they do

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 04:01:42 PM
From informative local sources but unconfirmed report , specifically for Twinpower 10000FC , the reel is made in Malaysia . Myself have yet to see the reel so can't confirm one way or another .

Jon .   
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Colin P

January 29, 2009, 08:16:57 PM
From informative local sources but unconfirmed report , specifically for Twinpower 10000FC , the reel is made in Malaysia . Myself have yet to see the reel so can't confirm one way or another .

Jon .   

I have a 5000FC and a 10000FC, bought last year from FishHead - the former is badged Shimano Japan and the latter Shimano Malaysia.