Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
all round PE8 popping rod for Cairns?
January 23, 2009, 09:33:29 PM
Hi All, finally gonna pry myself away from those big fat barra up at tinaroo and ease myself into popping, if thats possible! i've kickstarted it by somehow picking up a brand new Dogfight for $650 from Anaconda last week after they had some crazy stupid sale...I am a custom rod builder and will be building a rod to suit on a Seed blank from japan. I'm after advice on what would be the best all round blank to use from the following models..i'll be fishing from trailerboats and figure i'll be using entry level stuff to start with like haymakers and rovers, progressing to better stuff as i get more addicted

GT-76HP 7'6" fast action PE8-10 13kg max drag 150 gram lure weight

GT-710HP as above but 7'10"

GT-710-XH mod-fast action PE8-12 15kg max drag 200gram lure weight

appreciate any input thanks!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: all round PE8 popping rod for Cairns?
January 23, 2009, 09:50:29 PM
Thats an awesome price for the DF....was it marked wrong. I might have to drop in to mine and see what else is on sale....

The only seed I know is the GTP83H that pulls about 12kg drag at 90', but thats longer than the ones you listed.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 23, 2009, 09:54:42 PM
incidentally, I as having a bit of a play with the two PE8 blanks just a few days ago. The blanks are a fast action and seem very suitabe for PE8. In terms of the length, I think it comes down primarily to how good a caster you are. If you are a very good caster, I'd suggest the 7'6" blank and if you want better distance, I'd suggest you look at the 7'10" blank. Obviously, the shorter blank would be better to fight a fish with.

They seem a lot stronger than the previous generation of SEED blanks
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 23, 2009, 10:10:05 PM
Andrew,

I don't think you'll be able to skimp on the binding on a popping stick like you do on your bream rods!!!!

Cheers,
Simon

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 24, 2009, 12:45:51 PM
Simon,
haha no there'll be none of that minimalist stuff going on...triple overbind the stripper and double overbind the rest...to get a bit tech gudebrod A thread is rated at 2.7lb tensile (1.2kg)there would be at least 100 wraps on each stripper guide foot which would equate to over 600kg on each guide foot..more than adequate i would think! i double overbound all guides on your rod...hows things anyway? long time no email!

Hi Brandon, appreciate your advice especially given you have recently played with the blanks. i am quite tall at 6'5" and 90+kg with zero real popping experience if that helps..also from what i can gather generally the GT's of cairns aren't XOS size...did you get a chance to compare the 710HP fast action with the heavier 710XH mod-fast? what are your thoughts between these 2?

Hi Andrew, yes, crazy price, they were clearing them out cheap but that was a mistake. they had them priced at old rrp of 1300 and marked 50% off it! they were supposed to mark them down to cost which was 900...i heard of a few others who got them at 900, still great buying given the state of the $$

i have played with the GT83H, found it too long and heavy/powerful. i think i would be way overpowered on that rod. the 7'6" and 7'10" versions are new for the oz distributor, i am looking forward to building and trying them out, and also offering them to my customers (I am a part time custom rod builder)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 24, 2009, 06:40:39 PM
Andrew - I never saw the heaviest model but if you're looking at PE8, you're better off going with the two lighter blanks
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 25, 2009, 01:42:57 PM
Will you HURRY UP and get your popping gear soughted... :D :D

I will come up and have a wrestle on the reefs.

P.S I rang Anaconda last week but no go. :(

Pete

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 05:36:04 PM
all in good time mate...all in good time...

doubt you'll see them at that price again...but you never know! i'm just glad i got one