Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
great barrier reef gts
January 26, 2009, 12:55:27 PM
Ventured out to the reefs off Cairns yesterday in ideal conditions (for once). On arrival we were greeted by schools of bait everywhere herded up into very tight nervous balls.The day consisted of about 20 gts averaging between 10-15kg with a few pulled hooks and bust ups on larger fish. Regular double hook ups, a big flowery cod in 27m of water (didn't think they would chase bait on the surface in that much water) and a trout made for a very enjoyable days fishing. Lures - wahoo 125g, cubera 125g and river to sea dumbells

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: great barrier reef gts
January 26, 2009, 01:00:08 PM
sorry forgot the photos

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 01:41:17 PM
nice one Jordan.  Weather has been kind along the coast this long weekend.  Is great fun chasing the GTs out at the reef when they are feeding like that.  Cod in that much water is a suprise - any size to the trout?

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 04:42:34 PM
nah mate the trout was about 50cm, but i got this cool pic of it

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 09:11:04 PM
holee, that is a very nice pic jordan - great colour and composition.  I see trebles are still the go for you - any reason you prefer them over singles?

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 27, 2009, 11:18:11 AM
great stuff Jordan....not absolutely huge fish, but I wouldn't complaining, any GT is better than sitting in an office, dreaming of foaming surface strikes.

Love that coral trout shot, great colours on the fish and the lure.

Cheers
Angus

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 27, 2009, 05:33:27 PM
I have been mixing the trebles and singles up a bit but probably been using more trebles. I think the hook up rate seems to be better but after this particular session I am going to switch to jobus i think. On two of the fish we released i had to leave the treble in the fish (both fish hooked badly under the jaw) to avoid doing extensive damage to the fish- not good at all. On top of that, one fish that was tail hooked ended up depositing a 5/0 st-66 into my finger as I was trying to release it boat side. the weight + tail thrashing made for a very uncomfortable moment. Thank god for crushing the barbs and the hook came out strait away. However my finger still hurts like buggery and also possibly accounted for losing myself a lot better class of fish, which I couldnt apply any rod pressure to. Guess that might be a bit of gt karma