Jason Wormald

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another medium jig rod
February 22, 2009, 03:54:39 PM
Just after peoples recommendations on a medium jig rod to suit my stella 6000.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Another medium jig rod
February 22, 2009, 05:57:59 PM
what are you going to be using it for, what line weight would you like to fish and what range of jig weights?

Jason Wormald

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 22, 2009, 07:35:45 PM
yeah that would probably help.I will be using it for Blue Grouper,King Fish,Albacore,Blue fin,and that sort of thing.Was thinking of P.E.4-5  and jig weights of 100g to 200g mostly around the 150g mark   

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 22, 2009, 07:59:53 PM
I would be looking at a Smith AMJ 52M (if you use an overhead) or 56M (for spinning reels)

I have an AMJ 56M and use it for yellowtail kingfish, YFT and albacore (both cubing and jigging). I match it up with my 8000 stella usually, or 20000 when I need a lot of line capacity (such as when I got a Blue Eye Trevalla on it from 520m depth, haha). I have got YFT to 20kg on it and Albacore to 10kg so far. I actually had it rigged up to pitch bait to small striped marlin in January but didn't get the chance as I wasn't on strike when we raised one.

I run PE5 on it. It has a really nice action and is quite light. I have only used jigs down to 180gms on it and it works them really nicely, I would think it will work lighter jigs quite well, maybe not right down to 100gms, that is quite light.

Anyway, point of all that is I really love this rod, I find it a joy to use. It is not cheap but not crazy expensive like some. Everyone I know who has one of these rods (this model or others) raves about them.

Tight lines  ;D

Jason Wormald

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2009, 05:03:14 PM
Went down to the local tackle shop to check out what they have and found a Smith AMJ S54H at a nice price how do you think this would go with my stella 6000.