Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Medium Jig Rod Help
January 24, 2009, 05:37:38 PM
Looking for a jigging rod to match an 08 SW 8000 PG, I'm putting a 10K spool on so will have 300 m of PE5 (78lb) spooled. Budget <USD500.

The object to fish PE5 to the max on tropical reef dwellers so seeking a rod that will compliment this approach but importantly not be too heavy as to unbalance the lighter reel.

It will be light in weight to use for extended periods with max. 300gm jigs but serious enough to attempt to subdue bigger fish.

I have looked at several options but have minimal jigging experience so am seeking the advice of those who know the game.

Many Thanks in advance.
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Medium Jig Rod Help
January 24, 2009, 05:47:57 PM
Andy ,

Want to try Carpenter OH56MHS , can get somebody's rod for you to try if you are interested .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 24, 2009, 06:39:45 PM
Hi Jon,

Thanks very much for the offer, I was considering picking up one of these as you know but I have a PE6-8 heavy set-up already and was looking at something the next level down from the power of this rod.

Cheers

PS still debating with myself on casting rod...haaa
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 24, 2009, 06:43:17 PM
Hi Andy ,

The reel you mentioned suggested a good match with OH56MHS but next up which is OH55XHS will be more suited for Stella 20000PG/FA .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 24, 2009, 08:22:57 PM
Jon,

I may be wrong, but I'm just thinking this rod may be a little bit of overkill as the jig weight rating is 250-700gm.

With my popping gear along I may have weight issues.

Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 25, 2009, 09:31:49 AM
Hi Andy,

I am in the same situation as yours.

I recently bought Stella 8000 and now looking for a rod to match it up.

I have narrowed down my choices to 2 rods though...Smith AMJ54H or RippleFisher 568.

I just can't decide which one between both.... :-\

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 25, 2009, 09:55:15 AM
Have  you looked into the Jigging Master range?

regards David

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 25, 2009, 10:03:54 AM
I recently got a Zenaq FS53-8 (PE 4-5, max 300g jigs)), which I'm pretty happy with, it's a very sweet little rod.... and they're pretty well priced too. The Stella 8k would suit it nicely.
If you wanted to go slightly beefier, then maybe the Zenaq FS53-12 (PE 5-6, max 400g jigs).
Good luck with what ever you get.
<*///><

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 25, 2009, 12:29:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback men...

All these offerings have their favorable points, some questions remain due to my lack of jigging experience.

I like the look of the Zenaq FS53-12 PE5-6, 400gm jig max and it states the jig comfort will be 180-300gm which is right in the box I'm looking at.

Ripple fisher 568, can't open the website for days!!! anybody got some specs on their jig rods, nomad has comment but I want more info.

AMJ-54H I'm worried this rod may be too light with max jig at 280gm!! the 52EX with 400gm max may be suitable but with a line rating 4-8 will it be too heavy and unbalanced??

Jig Master 350g 5'0S PE3-7 jig 250-400gm jigs looks good, but again balance issues with the reel??? perhaps the 300g PE3-6 offering??

Narrowing the field a little for a stick that will be strong but not be too heavy to unbalance the 8K stella with  10K spool...

One of the main points for me is to have a light in weight but strong jig set-up that I can carry along with my popping gear to keep weight issues down with air travel.
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 25, 2009, 04:05:46 PM
Jon,

I may be wrong, but I'm just thinking this rod may be a little bit of overkill as the jig weight rating is 250-700gm.

With my popping gear along I may have weight issues.

Andy

Hi Andy ,

If you are going to jig around where you work , I have heard even OH56MH-S is a little too light because in Bali around Badung Strait , they use jig with minimum 500 gr. in weight and often must go beyond that when the current is running , many opted OH55XH-S in Bali .

It's not so much the weight of the jig that the rod must withstand but the current too , there was an occasion where an OH56MH-S used with 400 gr. jig was " saturated " due to strong current .

Jon . 

Narc

January 26, 2009, 12:34:51 AM
My favourite match for the Stella 8000 is HOts' Weiworld 52XH.
Specs: length 5ft 2" , Max PE 8 , Max Jig 420g
This rod is ultra light, thus though the rating is up to PE8, I find it handles PE 5/6 lines best.

Here's the link :

http://www.hots.co.jp/j/products/rod/weiworld.html

Just another option.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 26, 2009, 08:48:10 PM
Carpenter jig rods are different in principle than jigging rods such as Hot's WeiWorld , we had a discussion with Mark Richards on this subject awhile ago at Pelabuhan Ratu , remember AhGu ?

Jon .

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
February 10, 2009, 08:12:05 PM
Just a suggestion...

I know you made mention of the SMith ANJ52EX as possibly being too heavy....

But I got 4 of these in yesterday, and these rods are ridiculously light, and matched to an 8000FA, feel pretty damn good.... and matched to a 20000FA.... But as a "lighter" set up, with an 8K its awesome, weighs next to nothing, could jig comfortably between 250 and 400gram jigs.... and can handle some serious drag if you need it....

Gotta say I absolutely fell in love with these rods..... I'll be alternating between the 20K and 8K on mine, just because its such a peach of a rod to fish.... and so light...
You mentioned wanting to fish PE 5, so could look atfishing 12 kilos of drag at maxI would say to turn ome reef nasties from their lairs.... the SMJ52EX will handle that, and at a push when needed, handle 450 gram jigs too...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2009, 09:22:22 PM
Just a suggestion...

I know you made mention of the SMith ANJ52EX as possibly being too heavy....

But I got 4 of these in yesterday, and these rods are ridiculously light, and matched to an 8000FA, feel pretty damn good.... and matched to a 20000FA.... But as a "lighter" set up, with an 8K its awesome, weighs next to nothing, could jig comfortably between 250 and 400gram jigs.... and can handle some serious drag if you need it....

Gotta say I absolutely fell in love with these rods..... I'll be alternating between the 20K and 8K on mine, just because its such a peach of a rod to fish.... and so light...
You mentioned wanting to fish PE 5, so could look atfishing 12 kilos of drag at maxI would say to turn ome reef nasties from their lairs.... the SMJ52EX will handle that, and at a push when needed, handle 450 gram jigs too...

Hi Neps,

I have been looking hard at that 52EX for sure and it is good to hear your comments on it's suitability with a lighter reel. Still undecided, popping is my first love and unfortunately I just blew the stash on the last sale priced Long Reef 88, I had to have it at that price ;D.

once I decide I'll post, so many nice products to choose from.

Cheers
Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:28:33 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 11, 2009, 04:01:28 PM
For interests sake, here's a mate jigging with Smith AMJ-54H off WA.