Peter Agapiou

Re: jetty popping
February 01, 2009, 06:13:51 PM
Hi john, i grew up in the burdekin and have lure fished all the creeks in curlewis bay and camp island over the years. I havent been back since I started gt fishing. Its on our list of places to hit just havent got there yet. For interest I have access to the buildings and pontoon on camp island, but time at the moment is not my friend and have been stuck indoors working :'( I also have a hut at cape upstart which I havent been down to for a couple of years. Bitch of a road getting in to the elliot isnt it ;D

Efendey Juneidi

February 02, 2009, 05:40:09 PM
well done john, it's great pop

but your GT look badly hurt,

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
February 02, 2009, 09:19:01 PM

You ended up with heaps of gear from Marion, about time to donate some back ;) :D :D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
February 02, 2009, 10:05:22 PM

hey peter thats some prime location there on camp island have not been that way too much
    but after last trip will be heading that way more for sure

they do look a bit hurt but i assure you they swam away strongly ( i think we were
    hurting more than them the next day)

hey there bun how did the stickbaits go on the billies this season ?  the way the weather
    looking i think i will be keeping that gear for a little longer yet  :) :(

even if the trip goes ahead i might still be stuck at home with the road closures
    damn rain !!!!!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 07:36:12 AM
The Stickbaits on Billies, and anything else for that matter have been a non event due to our lovely weather conditions, the Billies really fired in late Dec but I missed them as I was on a Fishing Tiki Tour of NZ.

Good luck with the 2nd Cyclone [possible] later in the week, and stop sending the half spent ones down to us.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 01:06:29 PM

thanks bun  i will have a word with mother nature and see if she will send a proper cyclone down your
      way some time in the near future  :D :D :D

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 01:19:27 PM
Hi john, great fish! It's great to be able to get solid fish locally!
One question tho, do you think that holding the fish up with your fingers in the gill plates may cause damage to the gills?

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 03:28:07 PM
  hi warwick
  thanks mate yeah it is good to live in the tropics sometimes (except for the cyclones ) :)

about the fingers in the gills, i am not certain what the effects are but i do realise now that they
  should not be held that way i get a bit excited when i get a good fish and forget sometimes sorry

in saying that i am not sure which would be worse for the fish having a couple of big single hooks in
  your mouth being dragged around the ocean for 5 to 10 minutes really cant be all that healthy either

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 03:47:06 PM
The way I see it is when the fish is in the water their body weight is supported by the water in terms of their boyancy. Wheras when they are out of the water they are ultimatly subject to the way we support their body so we must handle them in the best way we can. I noticed in a nomad brouchure it said that no fish shall be held thru the gills for any reason, I'm sure this is intended to ensure the most minimal damage is done to the fish so in can be released in the best possible condition.
Not trying to have a go at you, I'm sure I'm guilty of worse things.

:D I know what you mean when you get excited landing a nice gt!

So good to be able to fish tropical waters, most southern fishing mags only crap on about snapper! Tropical fishing is like a lucky dip sometimes! Never know what you might pull up!
Cheers

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 04:56:53 PM
  no dramas i do understand were your coming from warwick its all still a learning curve for me so happy to
  hear constructive criticism :)

where do you fish mainly sounds like you from up nq way as well, might have to catch up for a fish although
  if you only fishing out of kayak ( profile photo ) i might give it a miss  :D :D :D

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 06:47:42 PM
 :D haha I do get some comments about fishing from a kayak! However most fishing is done out of travis' boat (he is on this fourum as well) see the popping cq reports ;)
I live in yeppoon so I fish the kepple islands and north to shoal water. Will be on the first gt drive out trip with nomad in June this year. Should be good fishing by then if the weather settles, not many boats getting out wide lately with the cyclone season in full swing!