MikeOsborn

Cam you want to keep a good eye out for the gannets when you head out.

Softbaits were getting bit and destroyed on every drop and producing 40-50cm snapper but as soon as I dropped a jig into the mix it got raped.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nice stuff ,seen some gannets last summer so we headed over and scored some small skipjack we probably should of hooked one up as a live bait to see if any marlin were around but we didn't,next time though foreshore,did not even think of dropping a jig, stupid me.Nothing like your photo though maybe 4 or 5 gannets diving in one at a time
Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:59:25 PM by Cam Foley
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Ivan Verhage

Do you guys encounter allot of interference on your sounder when you are cruising at around 8+knots.
I have got a navman 4500 fish and when i go above 8-9 knots allot if interference comes on the screan, is this normal or is the transducor mounted wrong.

Thanks
Ivan

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
No mine seem's fine at 8 or 9 knots ,i think Greg from this forum has the same sounder as you Ivan, maybe he can fill you in on the details of how to sett it up, meaning the transducer and the cruising mode
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:14:56 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

martin brennan

gents,

we do a lot of jig fishing on trawler wrecks off the townsville coast. this is what a good wreck stacked in fish (they are big GTs in the water column above the wreck) looks like.  our furuno fcv 585 (and many other colour sounders) will show larger fish as dark 'red blobs'.

ignore the bottom zoom column on the left it is just confusing given the wreck and bait.

the middle column shows the history of the entire water column, you can see we've actually gone over the wreck that lies in 150ft of water. the wreck is about 20ft high from the seabed and has a big stack of bait and nannygai on it from 100-130ft from the surface - use the scale and numbers. above this are the GTs (with some cobia and spanish macs, but predominantly GTs - particularly the fish highest in the water column).

the right hand column is the instantaneous "a-scope". it is, as the name suggests the feedback from the instantaneous sounder pulse. not many of my mates utilise this function but I find it invaluable for up to date information. and is very important for determining fish size. big red echoes es are the larger fish. in the picture in this column, you can count 6 red echoes, and these are bit GTs (we know because you can look over the side and see them, and if you throw pilchard cubes over, the echoes rise to the surface until you are nearly hand feeding 30-50kg GTs!).

We have come off the down current end of the wreck where the wreck is still 20 or so foot high, but the bait and fish on the actual wreck have reduced - they prefer the pressure point on the upcurrent side and the upwelling on top - current brings food.

apologies for not taking a photo of the gps at the same time.....

hope this is of use

cheers
martin