dave lovegrove

intro
January 29, 2009, 06:25:16 PM
gday all, great site ,thanks Luke. Well im the newbie here. Ive just recently got interested in in getting streatched again, by big GTs.

im off to Bali and jakarta in april/may, and hope to do a bit while im there.
i know there is some pretty good GT,s to be had in sumbawa, but sadly i will be restricted to the Gili islands and bali (wedding/honeymoon)with a week in jakarta. i might get a a few days spare while im away, but due to limited budget (bloody wedding an honeymoon!) i will try some land based options. im a pretty experienced fisho, and would be very greatful for any suggestions....ta in advance.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: intro
January 29, 2009, 06:32:37 PM
Hi Dave ,

We meet again , I going to be overseas in April but will be back in JKT in  May , perhaps we can meet then and if Andy is in town , we can meet somewhere for cold Bintangs .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

dave lovegrove

January 29, 2009, 06:41:45 PM
 :D thanks Jon, will be in Jkta early may, be great to catch up for a bintang.

my mrs is talking me into going to east java....but no set plans at this stage, will definatley try the gili,s again, saw some nice ones while snorkeling there last june, cheers.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 06:51:21 PM
Hi Dave ,

Have you got in contact with Andy Rowe yet ? I am sure where his work place location is still easily reachable from Bali by ferry out from Padangbai harbour and they have few big GTs there .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

dave lovegrove

January 29, 2009, 06:59:15 PM
Not yet Jon, but i definatley will, thanks for the contact. Unfortunatley, im on a pretty tight budget, @ wedding receptions...Bali and then one in jakarta for extended family....(also need a new heavy GT out fit,think my 4000 saltiga may be undergunned! ;), found a good tackley in bali, wil see what irian can do for me!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 07:38:52 PM
Hi Dave ,

Andy is well equiped with good GT tackles and he has a couple to unload which are hard to come by . Yes , your Saltiga 4000 won't be able to handle the rigour of GT fishing , my Z4500 has been demoted to handle PE4 line .

Wedding receptions in Bali and JKT ?! That is going to be quite expensive ! The best of luck and may both of you find happiness in life and for you , most of all can still go fishing !

Which part of Irian/Papua Province are you going to fish ?

Jon .

dave lovegrove

January 29, 2009, 08:51:28 PM
Irian jaya is the guys name (same as the province!) he has a tackle shop in bali, i got my 4000H from him at a great price,but the AU$ was much stronger then. Want a 6500GT saltiga (I think). I have a 12000 spheros, but i dont think its up to it. i dont really fish with threadline gear much, i was a purist when LBG fishing, and use baitcasters exclusively when barra fishing...good excuse to get a new out fit. Do you think Andy would have a second hand outfit for sale?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 09:32:33 PM
Hi Dave ,

Better ask him yourself , I know he has got lots of GT rods + reels which he does not use anymore , some are still brand new !

Jon .

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 30, 2009, 10:25:04 AM
You find some familiar faces here Dave. ;) :D

Thats why you wanted poddies 6000GT eh..?
That was a good buy....I tried also. :(

Cheers
Pete

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 30, 2009, 01:44:49 PM
Hi Dave,

Jon is right I have some gear which I will look at selling namely GT rods.

I have only fished the south side, Going off the rocks in south Lombok will require some work in getting there, it's quite remote and rugged, the west end of the SW peninsula will be more access friendly around the desert point surf spot, but I have only cast from an outrigger in that local, the currents around there can swallow outriggers by the way. If you really want to get at the potential good spots in the south you need a decent speed boat, these can be hired from Bali but this will blow your budget. There are operators from Sengigi too but again budget constraints. The southern spots will be entirely dependent on weather conditions and I don't think your timing will be ideal, Jon can confirm this better than I. If so you may be more limited to the gilies on the NW side as you suggest.

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers
Andy

PS regarding cold Bintangs in May, if all goes to plan I will be getting stretched a bit more at Bugatti and Marion.

Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:50:42 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 30, 2009, 01:59:35 PM
Hi Dave ,

April n May should be fine for South Lombok .

Jon .