Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wire assist vs cord
February 04, 2009, 01:56:05 PM
So we've been losing a few fish due to them slicing through the cord on the assist hooks we've been using (the Owner pink ones).  The obvious solution is to make some wire assist hooks up, fairly straight forward.  Made me wonder though - why do people even use corded assist hooks anyway?  They're not any less visible than wire, the wire isn't going to put the fish off in any way...so why bother?  You may as well have the security of the wire. 

The only reason i've found written about the place is that sharks can cut through the cord so you don't have to waste time fighting them.  For us the main target while jigging is spaniards so I can live with that downside. 

Is there any other reasons why corded assists are better than wire? 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Wire assist vs cord
February 04, 2009, 02:25:06 PM
I'm a terrible jigger so my comments should be taken in that light but my experience to date is that when the razor gang are around, you won't get saved by the wire assist cord. You need a segment of about 12 to 18 inches of wire leader as well.

I see absolutely no reason why you can't simply make your own wire assists and why they should not do the job equally well. If you like, you could use shrink tube and it would look just like a well-made one with assist cord. Zylon is a fair bit more resistant to the razor gang but it's expensive. Better off using wire as far as I'm concerned.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 04, 2009, 02:35:54 PM
I'm a terrible jigger so my comments should be taken in that light but my experience to date is that when the razor gang are around, you won't get saved by the wire assist cord. You need a segment of about 12 to 18 inches of wire leader as well.

Good point, but generally when you have wire leader it puts the fish off.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 04, 2009, 03:02:29 PM
Thanks Brandon and Jay - confirms what we were thinking.  It's a strange thing but it's hard to find people that have taken it up yet it offers no disadvantages as far as I can see (besides the whole shark thing).

As far as wire in front of the jig - I don't think we need this, we have yet to be bitten off by a spaniard in front of the jig, just losing the assist.  I think this has to do with our jigging style (ie "agricultural").  It's generally a flat out retrieve with very few (generally none) pauses, drops or stops that would cause the fish to miscalulate ot mis-time it's attack, hence getting the leader.  No doubt we'll eventually lose a few but I think the advantages of it are outweighed by the disadvantages for the way we fish.
Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 03:04:30 PM by travis heaps

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 04, 2009, 03:28:22 PM
As far as wire in front of the jig - I don't think we need this, we have yet to be bitten off by a spaniard in front of the jig, just losing the assist.  I think this has to do with our jigging style (ie "agricultural").  It's generally a flat out retrieve with very few (generally none) pauses, drops or stops that would cause the fish to miscalulate ot mis-time it's attack, hence getting the leader.  No doubt we'll eventually lose a few but I think the advantages of it are outweighed by the disadvantages for the way we fish.

That's interesting Travis, as we tend to have regular bite off's in front of the jig. Where we fish Spaniards have an annoying habit of hitting the jig on the drop and this just about always results in an instant bite off. I've also had occasions where we've hooked up with a wire assists and mid-way through the fight the fish manages to find the mono leader, as if it's tried to swallow the whole jig or something.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 04, 2009, 03:46:45 PM
Maybe we just haven't caught enough Jay  :D

I can see how the Spano could get their teeth up to the leader during a fight with the jig moving around, longer jigs/longer assists would help with that.  Yet to be cut off on the drop though.  It's a compromise I suppose, hook more fish with the chance of losing them (no wire trace) or hook less fish but land them (wire trace).  Think i'll save the trace till they're really thick otherwise just go for mono to the jig. 

(BTW - how good is the water in those pics - far out :o )

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 04, 2009, 05:12:23 PM
You definitely have a reduction on hook-ups with wire leaders and I don't like them myself but if you've ever jigged when the wahoo are thick, you'll get wiped on nearly every drop. You learn to really hate those things!

I will generally only use wire as a last resort myself. I don't like the damage it does to fish I intend to release.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 04, 2009, 05:33:20 PM
Yet to be cut off on the drop though. 

(BTW - how good is the water in those pics - far out :o )

Oh it's pretty funny lol  :D you don't even feel anything, in an instant your line suddenly stops and you realise you're still 20m from the bottom - with no weight on the end  >:(

Yeah the water was great that day, so clear too. Could see the spaniards schooling up below the boat about 20m down. Was a fun day.

Do agree with you though, I rarely opt for the wire leader unless they're so thick that you can barely get the jig to the bottom without losing it.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 05, 2009, 09:14:31 PM
Travis,
If you get snipped on a jig, wind in and tie on a taipan with a rear treble. You will still get snipped on the drop, but not in forward gear, generally with longer jigs and rear hooks the jig itself keeps the teeth away from the line. It's worked for me for the last 30 years!!

Maybe try taking off the assist hook completely and putting a single or treble direct onto a split ring on the rear??
I  used wire assists for a while and they don't seem to sit very well, I sorta lost confidence in them.

I wouldn't put wire in front of the jig, generally knocks out  most of the strikes.

Try the eastern tip of that big Island up the coast where you catch the GT's in about May or June if you want a big spano...or even the same spot you catch the GT's, so long as its cold and clear 

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 05, 2009, 09:24:47 PM
Hi Graham, we seem to have found a consistent spot its just those bloody razors! The hookup rate is good but generally they end up slicing the assist par or it needs replacing straight away. I personally try to steer away from a hook on the bottom due to snagging....on the bottom :D But maybe its worth a try.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 05, 2009, 09:52:15 PM
Warwick,
I drop jigs into the fern OK without snagging provided you get them up before dragging along. I presume you have found the spanos at flat or perforated or Manifold. Try the bommie off the se corner of flat or the western tip of Perforated out th the bommie about 1.5km to the NW. Once you know how deep it is stop your jig just short of the bottom if you like. I have lost very few jigs to bottom hookups, provided the water is deeper than say 25m.

I know its totally taboo but NYLON actually works better than braid on spano jigging, as the early close quarters head shaking often rips the jigs out their mouths on braid...Spanos are a top water fish and often hit right under the boat...I know.. I'm an old fart!! Maybe chuck a topshot of 15kg nylon over the superduper PE plus and wind it onto the stella magnifico, back the drag off to a sensible 3kg and hang on... they won't brick you and your better off letting them have a looong run and then just wind em in. Don't know what the fuss is all about.

Caught a cobia about 25kg on a pet rock up at Manifold last trip....now that was a pain in the butt and needed my braid for that bugger.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 06, 2009, 08:17:27 AM
thanks for the great tips Graham - we've found a healthy spano population at one of the many spots you suggested, seems as though we've got plenty of searching around to do yet.

Also - what are these Taipans you've mentioned a couple of times?  Googled but didn't come up with a lot?

Thats a very nice cobes on a pet rock - were you using one of those big suckers (I saw some 300gm monsters the other day!)?  We've only tried the smaller models for no success.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 06, 2009, 08:26:08 AM
Cool thanks for that Graham. I am using a fairly light outfit for jigging a saltiga z4500 with 30lb braid on a T curve deep jig 200. I have been running with about 2m of 80lb gallis leader which is nice and soft and like you said light drag as once they are hooked they wont brick you. I think the wire will do good just for the assist tho.
If only the weather will come good one day this year :D
I must join one of your trips one day as well.... Time, money, weather its all against me ::)

Travis i think the taipans are just like big chrome slugs, there is a bunch at barra jacks ;)

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 06, 2009, 09:43:59 AM
Warwick,
Sounds spot on to me.
I was involved in the original jigging craze in the mid 70's (seascapes and jigsticks)and Taipans have made it all the way from 70's to today...so they do work. Use the heaviest ones, chuck em maybe 30m, no more, let them sink to the bottom. You need a nice angle with the bottom, horizontal retrieve doesn't work often vertical is OK and  half way in between is perfect.
The retrieve is basically wind like crazy with no rod work and allow 2 or 3 pauses in between flat out bursts. The idea we reckon on the pause is that mackerel follow the jigs VERY closely literally a couple of cms behind the lure. When you pause they basically run into the lure. "Oh well may as well eat it now I'm here". It makes a difference.
If you found the mackerel where I think, don't be surprised that big queenies prefer the taipans to poppers

Best of luck!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 15, 2010, 03:20:08 PM
Reviving an excellent old thread.

I am trying to figure out what these Taipans are. Has anyone got a picture? I am more than intrigued.  Are they like the chrome bullets on certain Inchikus?