Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smith Komodo Dragon or RP79R
October 20, 2010, 09:28:28 AM
Hi poppers.

Just a lingering question. Having the opportunity to make a purchase on either of this rod. Could the KD be comparable to the 79R in terms of castability,  fish stopping power and most important of all, "damage" to you back?

Is the KD in the same class of rods as the 79R or it is more towards comparable to the 79H?

I usually fish with poppers around the 160g region, cup face would be the normal G cup.

Am trying to make a trip on nomad in 2011, so trying to make an option by finding out from the great poppers here.

I have kind of narrowed my choices down to either a KD, 79R or go heavy with the 79H.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Smith Komodo Dragon or RP79R
October 20, 2010, 09:51:01 AM
Hi poppers.

Just a lingering question. Having the opportunity to make a purchase on either of this rod. Could the KD be comparable to the 79R in terms of castability,  fish stopping power and most important of all, "damage" to you back?

Is the KD in the same class of rods as the 79R or it is more towards comparable to the 79H?

I usually fish with poppers around the 160g region, cup face would be the normal G cup.

Am trying to make a trip on nomad in 2011, so trying to make an option by finding out from the great poppers here.

I have kind of narrowed my choices down to either a KD, 79R or go heavy with the 79H.

Although I haven't used a 79R personally I beleive that they're not in the same class of rods and the KD would be considerably more powerful. In terms of castability, the 79R would be much easier, it does after all have 3 inches on the KD and 7'6" rods require a fairly competent caster to achieve good distance. In terms of fish stopping power the KD would probably be the pick but I've been told not to underestimate the 79R as they've knocked over some pretty big fish for some anglers.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 20, 2010, 01:22:41 PM
summed up perfectly by Jay!  ;)
I'd add that for a trip with Nomad, the 79R would be adequate. You don't need the power of the KD and the casting distance fo the 79R would be advantageous
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Paul Vogl

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 20, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Brandon, do you think the G cup style that Chis is talking about might saturate the 79R?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 21, 2010, 06:52:15 AM
Good point, Paul. I read 160g, not G Cup.

The G Cup is of course more than 160g and is beyond the capacity of the 79R.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

mat vinton

October 21, 2010, 12:46:02 PM
Go hard or go home!!! should answer the question!  ;D Long cast not always a bonus as you have to pull them out once hooked up!! Lots of line out and shallow water, scary stuff. (from past nomad experiance).
Ohh i might be a bit bias as i have and love my KD!!! :P You know its a good fish when ITS GAME ON and she's "BENDING'.
I cast it no probs but could be a bit hard to cast depending on your build.

mat vinton

October 21, 2010, 12:47:25 PM
Silicone balls help, Hey Jay.

Aaron Concord

October 21, 2010, 08:11:55 PM
Matt,

You are the size of a small truck and the height of one, so of course you can load the KD!

Of all the heavier rods getting around, it is the most forgiving if you need a big gun.

For most GBR/Coral Sea trips a longer, 'everyday' weight of rod is more practicle, which the 79R is.
Most fish are under 25kg so you don't need a cannon all day.

I can't believe you brought out the silicon ball line...............(in house joke for all who don't understand!!!!!) And NO I am not going to elaborate!

Aaron.