Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommendation for poppers
June 02, 2009, 07:53:44 AM
Luke, the PR Lab poppers are a mid-priced product. They never caught on because of the crazy designs and I think they'd have been better off going with a more conventional look. I tested one some time back and didn't really like the way it popped. You used to find them quite readily around Australia but I noticed that has really fallen off in the past 12 months of so. I think a pretty clear sign that they're not selling. Some people may like them but I would personally opt for other poppers in that price range.

Hi Brandon, Great post Thankyou. It's great for people that are new to the scene of GT Fishing like myself to be able to have access to this sought of info. Are you able to tell me where the PR Labs poppers fit it the picture and you opinion of them.Thanks again

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Khaled Altaher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2009, 07:04:17 PM
Hi guys, this is my first post. Great deal of info here. I Need help finding & buying some good poppers for my trip to Fiji next month (Aug). I'm a beginner in the popping field, so all comments & advise are welcome.

Thank you.

Khaled Altaher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2009, 07:50:04 PM
Any idea or feedback about Mangrove Studio & FCLLabo products? They seem like a good quality products.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 13, 2009, 07:55:54 PM
Any idea or feedback about Mangrove Studio & FCLLabo products? They seem like a good quality products.

The FCL Labo poppers have been re designed with a stronger construction, I'm sure other members probably know more details.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 13, 2009, 07:56:16 PM
Some good poppers for beginners include River2Sea Dumbells, Heru's and Jai's. There are a few other brands but i'm largely out of touch in respect to the entry-level poppers as I simply never use them!

Depends on how much you are willing to invest - FCL Labo poppers are very good and available at a good price from our sponsor. Mangrove Studio make fantastic products but I do not tend to use them - they are also expensive in terms of beginner GT anglers.

Plenty of other brands but I'm not sure how far you want to take it - starting GT fishing generally signals the beginning of a very large and expensive collection of lures....

Khaled Altaher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2009, 08:07:18 PM
Price is not a problem as long as quality is worth it. I tried searching for most of the premium recommended lures, but couldn't find any available online.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 13, 2009, 08:11:36 PM
Search of the threads here will produce a wealth of information....

Some of my favourite include Craft Bait GT2 and GT3, Hammerhead G, E and I cup, Fisherman Big Mouth HP Tail, Fisherman Long-Pen, Orion Bigfoot, Orion Crazy Dog, Orion Cono-Cono, FCL Labo Ebi Pop, FCL Labo Squid Pen, Carpenter, Smith Runboh etc...

Perhaps some more specific recommendations can be made if you tell us a bit more about where in Fiji you are fishing and the tackle used.... casting line, rod and reel....
Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:15:14 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 13, 2009, 08:18:12 PM
Oh - and Crusty's Full Scale Big F**kas!

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 13, 2009, 09:40:20 PM
Go the King Kong or You'll Be from Crusty

David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2009, 09:43:42 PM

Khaled,
I have a Mangrove Studio stickbait that I bought here in Japan last year.  I have never been able to get it to consistently work properly, even though I've still managed two hits on it (just dragging it across the water's surface in frustration).  I fish from a kayak, so my rod tip mobility is limited, but I have heard of similar difficulties with this lure from other Aussie GT fishermen.

Khaled Altaher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 14, 2009, 05:22:35 AM
Search of the threads here will produce a wealth of information....

Some of my favourite include Craft Bait GT2 and GT3, Hammerhead G, E and I cup, Fisherman Big Mouth HP Tail, Fisherman Long-Pen, Orion Bigfoot, Orion Crazy Dog, Orion Cono-Cono, FCL Labo Ebi Pop, FCL Labo Squid Pen, Carpenter, Smith Runboh etc...

Perhaps some more specific recommendations can be made if you tell us a bit more about where in Fiji you are fishing and the tackle used.... casting line, rod and reel....

My main destination is Kadavu Island, but I might also try doing a trip from the main island to the coral cost. Any idea about the size of GTs in these areas during August?

Where can I buy Orion Lures from?

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
July 14, 2009, 10:24:22 AM
Nomad Sportsfishing are now selling Orion poppers.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 10, 2009, 02:30:39 PM
hi brandon  or anyone else who can help..

if you mind tell me more about those orion stickbait  

as i know thr big foot is sinking stickbait..

but wanted to know more about those Big Nambas, Hotdog, Crazy Dog stickbait  
and how they work,s on slow or fast speed etc  
what they do ??
your help would be grat ..
Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:48:08 PM by Mick Cunningham

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 10, 2009, 08:59:39 PM
Bigfoot = Sinking stickbait
Big Nambas = Floating stickbait
Hotdog = Floating (me thinks)
Crazy Dog = Floating stickbait

Work each lure at various speeds to suit fishing condition.
AKA: Sunny

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 11, 2009, 11:15:10 AM
Anyone know about FCL Squid Pencils? I have recently purchased one of these (140 size I think), and want to know if there's any particular retrieves or techniques that suit this lure best. Also, can they be rigged back to front for a different action? I seem to recall Brandon mentioning something along those lines, but couldn't find any posts about it.

Thanks fellas
Angus