Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leader to Lure Connection
May 11, 2007, 09:55:24 AM
I have noticed in the Photos different ways of connecting the leader to the lure, most guys and/or girls [political correctness] seem to use the split ring attached to a swivel, some use snaps and some tied direct.
 Whats your views on your own setups ?.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Leader to Lure Connection
May 11, 2007, 10:54:28 AM

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 12:04:11 PM
Welcome back Luke, bad luck with the trip but the positive is you have been and seen somewhere different. 
  I agree with the spit rings as also used in jigging, with the swivel is it for line twist or just for connection ?.
 When tying direct with the leader can it be done with a twisty or would you use a single bite leader?.

Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 12:21:22 PM
Welcome back Luke, bad luck with the trip but the positive is you have been and seen somewhere different. 
  I agree with the spit rings as also used in jigging, with the swivel is it for line twist or just for connection ?.
 When tying direct with the leader can it be done with a twisty or would you use a single bite leader?.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 12:42:41 PM
Hi guys ,

Mine would be solid ring tied to the leader and splitring to the eyelet of the lure , changing lure is a breeze with this set up .

If I use " bite " leader , crimped FC leader and splitring to the eyet .

I dont use swivel anymore since 2003 , have experienced a couple of busted swivels in the past .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 12:44:53 PM
Hi guys ,

Mine would be solid ring tied to the leader and splitring to the eyelet of the lure , changing lure is a breeze with this set up .

I dont use swivel anymore since 2003 , have experienced a couple of busted swivels in the past .

Jon .

Hi Jon,

What brand & lb swivel were you using out of interest?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 01:03:15 PM
Hi Luke ,

From memory , it was one of the 400 lbs. Sampo barrel swivel which we used for trolling ( then ) .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 01:18:25 PM
Jon - what kind of solid rings do you use? One of my friends does his rigs this way and had (what we suspect) the Owner solid ring wear through the knot. I did warn him as those Owner solid rings are stupid - they look sharp!

Hi guys ,

Jon .
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 01:26:28 PM
I have set up my 50lb jig rig using 80lb FC leader to a150lb ball-bearing swivel utilizing the solid ring to split ring theory, would a #7 250lb BB swivel be to bulky for casting ? :o.

When using Owner 'oval' solid rings we use line guard tubing after Cams leader busted.
Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 01:33:18 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 01:37:56 PM
in a nutshell - NO. nothing is too heavy after you've been tossing 250g around comprising of a huge popper and two big trebles!  ;D

i don't know why Owner design them like that. It just isn't practical.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 01:56:32 PM
I believe it was for less stress when opening split rings, as Gamakatsu have done with some trebles. Metal to metal or looped assist hooks are no worries. On heavy Jigging leaders I use round Ten Mouth solid rings [haven't run out yet Neil].
Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 01:58:39 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 03:35:10 PM
I use Owner solid ring but yes the sharp edge worries me a bit , haven't had problem with mono leader but foresee problem with FC , that is why for the " bite " leader I just crimp both ends and tie the mono leader directly to the crimped end and use splitring at the other end .

I will centainly prefer rounded edge .

Jon .

Jon - what kind of solid rings do you use? One of my friends does his rigs this way and had (what we suspect) the Owner solid ring wear through the knot. I did warn him as those Owner solid rings are stupid - they look sharp!

Hi guys ,

Jon .

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 16, 2007, 03:25:29 PM
400 to 600lb snap swivel to the leader tied with a uni knot will do the trick. No GT will pop that snap open and lure changes are a breeze. Does not seem to affect lure action either.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 22, 2008, 12:47:03 PM
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 22, 2008, 01:33:36 PM
Hey Greg,

And the weather continues... :'( :'(

Before reading and understandings Lukes post on finishing twisted leaders with the nail knots etc.....I made up some twisties with 100lb and crimped on a swivel.
Crimps never seem to get much of a mention... ???
I know there are better ways but is cripming on a swivel ok or has there been bad experiences ???

Pete