Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shoalwater Weather report
February 03, 2009, 07:15:11 PM
Hi all anxious Shoalwater trippers,

We operate out of Yeppoon into that area all year round.
As an exercise before kicking off I looked at the weather patterns for the last 10 years or so to see how many days might be fishable for our charters
I looked at the number of days per month that the wind was under 15 knots at 9:00am and 3:00pm
Here's the result
March...4 days
April...13
May...13
June...17
July...22
August..19
Sept....19
Oct....16
Nov....16
Dec....8
Jan....8

and FEB....only 4 days

GT popping from dories is probably fishable above 15 knts so not exactly applicable, but I have been surprised how good the weather has been in Feb the last 2 years!

Today is the best day so far, down to maybe 20 knots, but rising again!!

If you can get there the options are still good in bad weather, provided you mix in a bit of light gear stuff. Typically ALL the fishing up this way is red hot in February, pity the weather is normally shi....house.

Pack a raincoat and get into it!!!
Still a lot better than sitting at this bloody desk.

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Shoalwater Weather report
February 13, 2009, 06:15:00 PM

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 13, 2009, 10:07:05 PM
Hi Matt,

Good to hear from, I had a fish for some whiting, the wind was so strong I couldn't cast against it so I waded out and fished back towards the beach!!!!

We have 2 boats going out tomorrow in spite of forecast of 25knts NW. I think the low that's going to blow you guys away will get south of us and we'll be right. (I hope)

Very few barra up here this year. There was good recruitment last year. but most of those little guys are stuck in lagoons. Mature fish are very rare
cheers,
graham

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 13, 2009, 10:23:45 PM
Hi Matt,

Good to hear from, I had a fish for some whiting, the wind was so strong I couldn't cast against it so I waded out and fished back towards the beach!!!!

We have 2 boats going out tomorrow in spite of forecast of 25knts NW. I think the low that's going to blow you guys away will get south of us and we'll be right. (I hope)

Very few barra up here this year. There was good recruitment last year. but most of those little guys are stuck in lagoons. Mature fish are very rare
cheers,
graham

looks like tomorrow gets better as the day goes on Graham so you should be right.  We're hoping for a late saturday departure camp sat night at the islands, fish sunday.  If not we should get at least a sunday fish in hopefully.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 14, 2009, 12:32:53 PM
Travis,
2 of our boats left this morning 6:00, very flat along the coast. Might be a bit bumpy out wide. I   didn't go as have a couple of birthday parties. The fishing should be very good at present.
Best of luck

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 14, 2009, 09:47:59 PM
Travis,
S'pose you might be gone by now but the boys hit a monster school of big queenies at that Island up north where you guys fish. About 20-30 fish chasing every popper. Pillie would hook em up and pass on to the crew, some had been a bit seedie, I think he kept 2 from 6 and left em for next time. No big GT's sighted but likely to be pretty close by.
Might be some footage on WIN next friday. Also cobia etc..and plenty of big red jew

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 16, 2009, 09:58:02 AM