Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2009 Fishing Expeditions
March 09, 2009, 12:40:31 PM
I just had an invite to chase Sailfish in Malaysia in September, I presume they will fish the normal methods of trolling and livebaiting, but I want to catch one on a Stickbait or Popper.
 Jon, I believe you have some experience from that neck of the woods, any feed back would be appreciated.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 13, 2009, 07:37:08 PM
Guys ,

Check this blog for my recent trip into the freshwater river of East Borneo province with my Punan guide ; http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/kelaiberau/

Already making plan to o to Malinau in May 2009 .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 13, 2009, 08:14:34 PM
Guys ,

Check this blog for my recent trip into the freshwater river of East Borneo province with my Punan guide ; http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/kelaiberau/

Already making plan to o to Malinau in May 2009 .

Jon .

Jon,

That is so cool, I wished I could have made it.

Now you say your going S. Malinau in May....I spent many months exploring the remote headwaters of that river some years back, I hope it is not changed cause it is a magic wilderness. There were lots of large fish about, My Dayak crews used to spear them, we also came across Punan family groups up there that were fairly much unchanged, i.e. still hunter-gatherer existence.

I would love to revisit that area, but I've already booked for Bugatti >:( ;D
Set the ray to GeeT

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 13, 2009, 08:15:42 PM
Jon, thanks for the email, did you receive the on ethat i sent you?

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 13, 2009, 08:16:48 PM
Andy, what date are you at Bugatti?

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 13, 2009, 08:21:05 PM
Andy, what date are you at Bugatti?

Hi Brock,

May 4-9, depending on the bite I think there may be a plan to shift to Marion half way through the week!
Set the ray to GeeT

earlhamilton

March 21, 2009, 02:56:54 PM
Any of you guy's on Nomads Diamond Islets trip in Nov/Dec this year. I've booked on both weeks back to back, it would be great to meet some of you guys. Other than that all I've got this year are a couple of exploritory trips around the Sulu Sea, and if i'm lucky a couple of odd days could be snatched from a few business trips I have to do.

Jarrad Heritage

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 21, 2009, 04:49:57 PM

GREG, I was just over in Singapore yarning to some fella's that own a fishing shop over there, and they chase the Sails off Rompin in Malaysia, And they all pop and stick bait for them now.
They were telling stories and showing heaps of photo's.
September is the pick of the year from what they were telling me. Non-Stop Sail action.

Cheers Jarrad

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 22, 2009, 08:01:07 PM
By this time in a week some of on this forum will be at bugatti having a few frothies (beers to you northern folk), there will also be many more at the same place the week after, best of luck to us all,take care & have fun.

PS: Fly fishing for GT's, What is the largest that you think the boys can get? Any takers? Better still any bets?

PSS: Luke/Brandon are we allowed to take bets on this site? If so do i get a commission on what you make?

You do have to admit GT/fishing is a sport & we do have sports bet so.......................

Just joking guys but seriously what do you think they could land out there?

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 22, 2009, 09:54:40 PM
By this time in a week some of on this forum will be at bugatti having a few frothies (beers to you northern folk), there will also be many more at the same place the week after, best of luck to us all,take care & have fun.

PS: Fly fishing for GT's, What is the largest that you think the boys can get? Any takers? Better still any bets?

PSS: Luke/Brandon are we allowed to take bets on this site? If so do i get a commission on what you make?

You do have to admit GT/fishing is a sport & we do have sports bet so.......................

25kegs max ;D have a good one mate, wish I could have joined you guys.

Aaron Concord

March 22, 2009, 10:01:39 PM
Voltzy  :'(

Brock,

I'd say around 35kg IF the RIGHT fish comes along on a corner where it is eating fusiliers, bashes the fly & motors off into the deep of one of the main gutters which can reach 60+m of water....It would be a loooong fight if it doesn't find a bombie in its initial dash.

It isn't a Christmas Island/Mid Way Atoll/flats fishing run-it-down-across-knee-deep-water kind of fight for most of the places I have seen out there, though, it CAN still be done.

Aaron.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 22, 2009, 10:12:16 PM
GTpopping does not accept any liability for any wager made by members, however, I think we would be grateful to take a 10% commission of any winnings by the winner!  ;D

Brock, if you broker any wager and we get a commission, I am sure we can share it.

On the issue of the biggest GT to be landed on fly on the trip, that's a tough one. The guys are going to need some really good conditions to make this viable. I saw Ed Lester land one of close to 20kgs two years ago which he hooked off the back of the mothership. It took absolutely ages to land and they chased it everywhere!

35kg?! I think that would be an extremely fortuitous capture in that location. I have only had one fish so far actually run into the channel. Every other fish has run for cover

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2009, 07:34:52 PM
We can share the winnings Brandon, I will work out a wager on the first day we are out & see what happens, will let you know. Lets see what Mr Morse has to say about this?

Aaron Concord

March 23, 2009, 08:05:18 PM
Brandon,

It's certainly possible. Though highly unlikely!!!!!!!!!!
I'll be keen to see what the fly rodders who own GT gear will think of their long wands after going 47 to nothing or some similar crappy stats.

Having said that, I enjoy the challenges fly imposes and IF I had the dough would gladly spend the time to get a honker on fly.

Give me the 16wt!!!!!

Aaron.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 23, 2009, 08:23:26 PM

Jon, I believe you have some experience from that neck of the woods, any feed back would be appreciated.

If you are talking about Rompin in Malaysia then there isn't much trolling at all but rather the boat will drift and catch livebait and then they will livebait . A few will pop for sailfish but the statistic between number of strikes and hook ups can be 50:1 , very frustrating but at the same time very exciting .

I have the top captain's phone number if you need it but generally the top of the season the chalet n the top boats are block booked by a fishing shop in Singapore , this I was told and there is no way but to go thru them .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .