Joey Falconi

Upcoming Trip - Feb 2009 (Updated)
December 09, 2008, 10:23:45 PM
I am lucky enough to be heading over to Cairns leaving Melbourne airport with a couple of "virgin" popper casters. After showing them some home made footage and some action on the Nomad website I had both of them selevatng at the mouth  :o

We have booked the flights but have yet to confirm accomodation and yet to properly confirm charters/guides for the weeks fishing.

We are thinking of heading to Port Douglas for 4 days and then drive to Cairns and do another 3 days with Kerry Bailey (Black OUt)?

I'm throwing it out to you guys as to what you would do if you could spent 7 days in Northern QLD chasing GT's?

Would you drive to cooktown and use a guide from their. Is the fishing better in cook town or further north?

Any recommendation on guides to use.?

Thanks Guys....
Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:19:12 PM by Joey Falconi

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Upcoming Trip - Feb 2008
December 10, 2008, 12:08:44 PM
Joey, I take it you mean Feb 2009. 

One thing to bear in mind is that February is usually right in the heart of the wet season up here.  And when it rains it rains hard.  Generally the winds shouldn't be too strong but there's also the chance of a cyclone as well.  You could still fluke some good weather, but it's worth thinking about.

cheers,

steve 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Fraser Simpson

Re: Upcoming Trip - Feb 2009 (Updated)
December 13, 2008, 09:23:04 AM
Joey,

Blackout is a great charter - Kerry works his butt off to get you on a fish. I fish with Stephen and agree that FNQ can be pretty average waether wise in Feb. Count on some rain with 34C and 90% humidity.

Fishing from Cairns is as good as anywhere else like Cooktown. As Cooktown is much smaller and less busy there is not so much known about the popping up there (maybe the locals keep the secret to themselves). The reef is pretty close to land though, so travel times are less.

I would suggest that you hook up with Kerry early in your trip and then consider getting more adventurous when you gave a few fish under your belt!PM me if you want further info.

Joey Falconi

December 13, 2008, 02:38:14 PM
Thanks Guys.

We will be departing on the 26th Feb..... Fishing till 7th March.

I agree that Kerry is a top guide in those nick of the woods.

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 04, 2009, 08:08:55 PM
Joey,

how was the fisahing over the Christmas break up north?

Joey Falconi

February 26, 2009, 02:32:46 PM
Well,

D - Day has arrived and off to Cairns we fly tomorrow. Firstly Fishing Port Douglas and them off to cairns for 4 days with Kerry.

Fingers crossed with the weather but I think we may fluke some decent weather.

Looks like winds for port douglas are under 20klms every day for the next 4 days.... E/S/E winds ? Any Good ?

Also looking at the tides it looks like some decent tides all above 2m. Av 2.2m. Are these big tides or are they average for this part of the world.

Chance of rain each day but lloks like nothing to worry about seeing that they only expect 6mm of rain for the next 3 days.

Can anyone shed some ligh on the weather at present ?

Thanks

Joe

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 27, 2009, 07:51:02 PM
Good luck for your stay up here Joey.  Unfortunately it looks like the weather is going to be pretty ordinary.  Too windy for me anyway.  Hope you catch a few!

cheers,

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher