PeterD

Shoalwater Land Based??
February 26, 2009, 08:53:57 AM
Is it possible to get into Shoalwater Bay or is it all locked down by the military?

From what i have seen it would make for some great land based fishing!! Keen to give it a go if we can get in there.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shoalwater Land Based??
February 26, 2009, 09:39:41 AM
You won't get in to there land based Peter, it's all Military training area and even with unrestricted access i'm guessing it would be hard work to get to the shoreline.  I know a fishing club in Rockhampton is (or used to be anyway) granted access into the area at certain time but even then they just took boats up and fished the estuaries. 

The most likely way of fishing landbased up there would be to go up in a boat, land and then walk to a rock platform - bit non-sensical that though  :D  And even then I don't think thats legal as I don't think you're really allowed to land - is that right anyone?

You could fish some of the headlands at Stanage Bay landbased though maybe?

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 26, 2009, 12:26:03 PM
I noted when we were up there recently that when you enter the military area a notice comes up on your GPS, and I seem to recall it saying something like you are not allowed above the high water mark...there were also some physical signs to this effect

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 26, 2009, 02:18:19 PM
Scott,
That's right Defence owns everything above high water and access is strictly prohibited. You can access 5 Rocks and Stockyard Point to fish,a few good queenies, but not sure what you do after the first hour?
Some of the headlands around Stanage Bay might be OK but access is limited as all privately owned.

Bring a boat!!!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 26, 2009, 02:36:46 PM
Scott,
That's right Defence owns everything above high water and access is strictly prohibited. You can access 5 Rocks and Stockyard Point to fish,a few good queenies, but not sure what you do after the first hour?
Some of the headlands around Stanage Bay might be OK but access is limited as all privately owned.

Bring a boat!!!

5 rocks is an option - Warwick landed a 10kg GT from his kayak the other day.  I also had a HOT "land" based session the other day on GTs, Queenies and the odd spaniard - however it was off a rock that is maybe 10m in diameter, in the middle of nowhere and to get there I had to paddle my yak for 4kms  :P ;D  (damn boat bogged and perfect weather... :-X :'()  Also while the session was crazy - 3.5 hours of constant strikes, I only stayed onto one solid Queenie - was crazy, they just weren't connecting??

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 26, 2009, 04:52:00 PM
Ok Travis,
Now I'm interested...I presume you put the Yak in the water at 3 rivers and paddled north?
The charter last saturday couldn't get away from big queenies at the spot I have mentioned to you guys before but no GT's

PeterD

February 27, 2009, 07:54:06 AM
Thanks for the info guy's. It was worth a shot.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 27, 2009, 05:25:25 PM
I went there when I was in the Navy in '98. Didn't know much about GT fishing then, or of the potential that place held, but it was pretty fishy looking..
Got to see the proof after the divers detonated a few 500lb shells, massive water spout and every fish within a certain range with instant baratrouma..  :(  Yeah struggled with that one..  >:(

Heard a lot about some big tiger sharks also.  Would like to return again, this time in a boat not painted grey!

Cheers.