;)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Travel Insurance and fishing charters
March 06, 2009, 09:12:07 AM
that's really giving new meaning to a "dogtooth"!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 06, 2009, 10:26:54 AM
George, I thought about insuring my gear under my house and contents policy, which I understand can be done easily enough provided you have receipts. The issue then becomes are you prepared to declare to your wife / partner (via the policy) what your gear is worth? That proved to be a major disincentive for me!! ;)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 06, 2009, 05:18:23 PM
Most house and contents cover anything that normally resides at the nominated home. Two cases I had where:
1] Lost reading glasses off the roof of a car ::), replaced
2] 1967, Loaded my gear on the boat at the Marina the day before heading out, the boat was busted into overnight and the rods and reels pinched, fully replaced under H&C insurance :).I had photo's of all my Tackle
Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:27:10 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 06, 2009, 05:57:08 PM
George, I thought about insuring my gear under my house and contents policy, which I understand can be done easily enough provided you have receipts. The issue then becomes are you prepared to declare to your wife / partner (via the policy) what your gear is worth? That proved to be a major disincentive for me!! ;)

What sort of receipts do they require? Most of my gear is bought online and I have paypal receipts for just about everything.

PeterD

March 06, 2009, 08:11:04 PM
When i put my gear on home and content's all they asked was if i could take photo's of all of it. They didn't ask for receipt's for anything.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 06, 2009, 09:00:20 PM
Hi Malcolm,
Do you have a direct internet link to AIG travel insurance Australia?

Having experienced a 45 day delay in my check-in luggage on a trip to New Caledonia, let me just say that there is nothing worse than having the airlines (in this case, Qantas) screw up with your luggage. I actually thought they had just lost the lot. Now, trying to make a claim and justify how one popper costs over $100, and to get all the reciepts... the chances of making a full claim are as slim as winning the lottery (the latter would probably require less paperwork and be less painful).

My WHOLE group's luggage actually arrived a day late, and LPB was kind enough to cancel 1 day of charter with us while we waited. That was a very big, kind and generous call and not something I expect any charter would do. Full marks to David, Rudy and Sebastien.

I also recommend, if you are doing transits during a fishing trip, to go up to the transit counter and INSIST on confirmation that your luggage has boarded the next leg of the trip. This may take maybe 5 minutes but save you days of heart and headache.

Just my 2 cents.
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 06, 2009, 09:15:07 PM
Kasey,

Here is the site you are after https://aigtravel.com.au/nomadsportfishing/default.aspx

When do we get a report & pics on your trip to NC? or did i miss it somewhere here?

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2009, 11:18:00 AM
Thanks Brock. Would anyone know if there's an equivalent one for NC?

Sorry, I've put up a few pictures here and there - but you can check out the whole album on Facebook.
Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:20:14 AM by Kasey Leong
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2009, 11:44:22 AM
Hi Kasey,

I would just go to aigtravel.com.au and check the policies on offer. I purchased mine through the link on the Nomad site, but I purchased the Annual Platinum worldwide policy. This is good for New Caledonia, plus just about anywhere else in the world except for Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and the Sudan.(don't think the GT situation is that attractive in those spots anyway). It also covers the rest of my family if they were travelling with me.
I'm not aware of any link that LPB have with insurance companies, apart from strongly recommending coverage.

AustralianAngling

March 07, 2009, 04:17:39 PM
My insurance company has all our vehicles, boats, house and contents, I also added  personal insurance they cover up-to a total of $7500 with an item limit of $2500 anything over that must be specified like wifes jewelery for example. This covers camera, rod, reels etc anywhere in the world. Have made a couple of claims and never had any problems. As usual sporting equipment must not be in use and broken, but if gear lost, stolen or broken by airline company you are covered. Policy through CGU insurance.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 11, 2009, 04:39:53 PM
Travel insurance is vital, but what I don't understand is that no one has mentioned personal injury. Being in a remote area or other countries - the medical infrastructure doesn't compare to that of our country and can be extremely expensive. Air evacuations, emergency procedures and overnight hospital stays have horrible costs. What if you get a propeller wound, treble to the head, bite from a sea snake/shark etc. You won't be covered outside of Australia in most cases - this can be purchase along with the kind of policy malcolm mentioned.

I get my insurance through travelinsurancedirect.com.au - around $80.00 - $120.00 for a typical trip including cover of gear and medical. You may need to purchase some additional cover for Fisherman rods as per item can only be so much  :o

Some platinum CC's may provide worldwide insurance for you but good to check.

Don't leave home without it - I have made claims from at least 2 of trips in the last 5 years.

PeterD

March 12, 2009, 07:49:45 AM