Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Light Jigging Outfit
March 05, 2009, 08:15:14 PM
Guys,

I'm after a bit of input on some ideas for a light jigging/bait outfit.  I'm thinking PE3 or 4 on a Saltiga 20.  The rod I really am struggling with, but would prefer something closer to 6 foot than 5.5.  I think I'd be looking at jigs from 80-150g with a bit more at a pinch.  I really like the idea of something light in the hand, but big on pulling power.

Any suggestions on rods etc would be appreciated.  I certainly plan to get out to a few shops (including our sponsor FishHead) but haven't had a chance yet.  If only they combined child minding with tackle stores.....

Thanks,
Simon

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Light Jigging Outfit
March 05, 2009, 09:20:03 PM
G'day Simon, I have an Xzoga Taka-Si 6013. I run PE3 Varivas Jigging line on a Twinpower 5000FC. The rod is 6 foot and rated to 180g. It's rated to 7kg drag and you'd be surprised the amount of pressure you can apply with such a light combo. It really looks the part and it's extremely light and thin blank. If you're interested I could take some pics for you.

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 06, 2009, 10:29:22 AM
Jay,
Thanks for the info.  I'll do an internet search to see if I can find out more about these rods and save you the hassle of taking photos.
Cheers,
Simon

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 06, 2009, 05:52:21 PM
If you don't have any luck let me know. It's not a hassle to get some pics if u need.

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 10, 2009, 09:06:23 PM
Jay,

I've found the website and there are some pics on there.  But can you tell me what type of action the rods have, ie fast, or slow or whatever.  The one I like the sound of is the 5'9" version which is the model heavier than yours.  What is the componentry and build like on them?

Thanks mate,
Simon

Janelle O'Connell

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 10, 2009, 10:14:02 PM
Simon, kids are more than welcome at Fish Head.  :) In fact we are working very hard on child proofing the whole store (a work in progress).  Our 2 year old and four year old come to work every second day so the place can sometimes be chaotic and loud but it's all fun.  If worse comes to worse there is a children's play centre a few doors down and the rest of the family can hang out there.  Great "play" day for the whole family,

Janelle

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 10, 2009, 10:29:20 PM
Jay,

I've found the website and there are some pics on there.  But can you tell me what type of action the rods have, ie fast, or slow or whatever.  The one I like the sound of is the 5'9" version which is the model heavier than yours.  What is the componentry and build like on them?

Thanks mate,
Simon

I haven't loaded it up on a big fish yet so I haven't got a full working curve but from what I can tell it's quite a slow action. I really like this with jig rods, feels really comfortable. I'm going to get a photo of it loaded up at home tomorrow, hopefully put 7kg (max drag) through it and see how it goes. The components are all high quility fuji offerings and the build quality is good.

I'm not sure what website you saw but check this one out if you haven't already. http://www.seasonsrods.com.au/taka_si.htm

I'm very happy with mine and I'd definately buy another one.