Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
In the past year, we've seen a number of articles on popping for GTs appearing in the mainline fishing media. This is hardly a surprise as it is undoubtedly one of the most exciting forms of fishing and is one of the reason why we all gather here! That said, of late, I've seen some articles giving some quite questionable and at times, inadequate or incorrect advice in my view. Many in the mainline fishing media have been keen to jump onto this bandwagon believing their all round fishing experience carries over. Well, it does - to a degree. Heavy popping and jigging, however, are as extreme on equipment and terminals as any other form of fishing I can think of.

It is not my intention to denigrate any one article - I don't have that right as the quality of equipment, terminals and rigging is a matter of opinion. Rather, the intention of this thread is to simply encourage members who are new to this form of fishing to read widely to ensure they get a wide and balanced view rather than accepting the views of so-called experts who do not have the experience in this field. What I am really getting at is some of the advice on terminals and rigging.

The views offered here by other members are based on their experience and there are some very experienced GT fishos here. I know there are some really experienced ones who visit but are reluctant to post!  C'mon guys - give us the benefit of your experience.

We're not necessarily right or wrong here but may of these guys have had the pain of experience and know what works and what doesn't. There is no better experience than losing good fish because you then take whatever precautions to reduce the likelihood of it happening again! We don't always agree but you will find a general level of agreement that permeates through discussions.

Some of the advice I've read would see you cop an absolute hiding at a tough location!
Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:04:34 PM by Brandon
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Well said Brandon ;)

Totally agree there with all your points :)

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I too agree with all your points Brandon,

You really should talk yourself up though, man you have done some of the best fishing currently known to GT warriors anywhere..... and lived to share and discuss with fantastic detail - I personally look forward to all your exploits and their following reports - RESPECT.

As for my advise - GT's, as most here know, are the toughest short distance fighters in the water - So as Arnie would say - "you need to pump some iron dude"  seriously it really does help on those battles were pain is your friend and the result worth it........

8)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
thanks Peter. You're too kind but the reality is that while I have had the good fortune to fish many places, there are guys on this site whose experience and knowledge dwarves my own. Guys like Neil have been fishing far longer and have probably forgotten more than I have learned.

The objective of this post is to simply encourage our members who are new to GT popping to look for advice beyond what they will read in fishing magazines. Many take what they read in such publications as gospel. After all, these guys are supposed to be the experts. The problem is that some of what they write goes against what many of us who do this type of fishing regularly know to be conventional wisdom.

GTs are certainly up there and in the environments they frequent, as tough as any fish I know.
If it swims; I want to catch it!