Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I'm a bit different too. I grew up during the flat out straight up craze of the 80's. We still do something similar for small mackerel. I have modified this technique to jigging.
Here's my approach. Drop to the bottom. Wind flat out 6 or 8 turns then stop dead, no rod movement at all. Repeat as necessary after say 2 second pause. I catch as many AJ's and trevally as anyone else. Most fish strike on the slack. We use knife jigs in the 180 to 230gm range in 40m of water.
The logic to this retrieve started with mackerel, at flat out retrieve the mackerel used to follow right behind the lure, but would only strike when the lure stopped (and basically they ran into it).

Brandon, I can also guarantee you will last a lot longer than the show ponies trying to rip there rods apart.

Yay! A man of my own heart. That's almost exactly my preferred technique and it evolved from my early days "jigging" (never called it that in those days!) over wrecks in southwest England in the 1980s.  A fast retrieve (I sometimes go more like ten turns) after a single bounce on the bottom and then stop. I totally agree that AJs really go for this. I also find it works especially well with Rubys, and the technique can be applied in  much deeper water.

John Flores

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
When im targeting Bluefin,Yellowfin tuna...i use a underarm short/pitch style. Center weighted jigs work best for tuna's, allowing the jig to flutter on the down strock. A slow to moderate speed works best with these jigs.

When im targeting AJ'S, Blackfin Tuna, Wahoo...i'll use both styles and both work well, but i'll use the underarm short/pitch for most of the day. Tail weighted jigs work best... jigs dont need to flutter, they just need to move fast.

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Really enjoy relatively deep jigging (100+) for samson fish and kingfish. Only ever really done heavy jerk and speed jigging as I've never used flutter jigs or slow wind types. Nothing like hooking a big fish and knowing you have to someone drag it up from 100m after already being tired from the jigging process itself! ;)

Ryan Theyer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I like deep water jigging. 250m + of water. I find that a nice fast lift and drop retrieve works the best as the amount of slack line that you have make the jig work better. Seems to work for blue eye etc.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I find fast retrive very efficient for dogtooth and YFT, but exhausting also..... Put the rod in the fighting belt, do the longest and fastest possible jerk and manage 3 cranks to take the slack, them again amd again. Very fast and very exhausting, but deadly effective! When you slow down, you get sharks... :(

For yellowtail japanese anglers use "fake jerk" technics. Holding a rod in an armpit, they do 3-4 regular jerks and then one sharp and longest possible jerk and make a pause (they call it "fake jerk"). At the moment the slack is almost gone, they continue regular jerks. By doing this, they attact fish's attention by regular jerks and let it eat easy by "fake jerk" when the jig is in a long free fall position.

Michael de Min

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Mix it up guys, surprise the hell out of them! I love to rip the jigs back fast and feel the fish hit hard.