• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yucky Glove Smells
May 13, 2007, 10:28:27 PM
Apart from washing them properly after a trip, does anyone have any tips on how (if it is even possible) to clean your gloves after a days popping session (standard soap which is usually the only thing available does nothing)?

On multi-day expeditions even after one day the gloves can start smelling like the local tip! The worst thing is that i have a bad habit of intentionally smelling them!

Any tips would be appreciated....

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Yucky Glove Smells
May 14, 2007, 07:56:47 AM
that's why I carry a few different pairs!  ;D

I have never found anything that manages to disinfect the smell during a trip. When I get back, I soak them for a few days in washing detergent and then put them through the washing machine a couple of times. I know you're not supposed to do that with leather but I find it doesn't hurt them. They go a bit stiff after they dry out but soften very quickly after a few casts.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Neil Griffiths

May 14, 2007, 09:07:47 AM
Fishy smells not as bad as baby crap!!  Try Napi-San it works a treat.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 14, 2007, 09:53:53 AM
lol.....I carry a few pairs as well.
If you get fish slime on it, scrub it off immediately with something. The smell comes from that. Otherwise soak it overnight in washing detergent.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 14, 2007, 10:14:04 AM
Luke, stick to intentionally smelling the gloves not the baby crap :o
 Try treating the gloves with a leather sealer like Tana or Scotchgard, stops moister getting into the leather.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Hal Harvey

May 14, 2007, 11:23:40 PM
LUX flakes, and hand washed, not soaked, is best. You need two pairs to alternate daily. Napisan is bad on leather, and Velvet soap is OK but not as good as LUX with leather. It takes five minutes each night to have everybody's gloves totally sorted, smelling sweet!

Neil Griffiths

May 17, 2007, 06:53:44 PM
It's fine Hal, been using it for years with absolutely no problems.

Neil

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 09:41:24 PM
Apart from washing them properly after a trip, does anyone have any tips on how (if it is even possible) to clean your gloves after a days popping session (standard soap which is usually the only thing available does nothing)?

On multi-day expeditions even after one day the gloves can start smelling like the local tip! The worst thing is that i have a bad habit of intentionally smelling them!
Any tips would be appreciated....

That is sooooo funny, something I would do......