Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Waterproof Gear/Tackle Bags
March 19, 2009, 07:58:52 PM
Looking for a new waterproof gear bag ...Must be light weight but tough and only large enough to carry 1/2 dozen rigged poppers and spare spools etc.
What do you use/recommend

Crusty

Rob Ciotucha

Re: Waterproof Gear/Tackle Bags
March 19, 2009, 08:23:33 PM
Hi Chris i have a Shimano Bristol Bay tackle bag. Yet to use it but will give it a run at bugatti. Looks really well made.

http://shimano.fishing-store.us/shimano-bsltb250-medium-bristol-bay-tackle-bag.html

Cheers
Rob

Tri Vi Ton

March 19, 2009, 08:25:00 PM
have a chat with jay currie, he uses some cool tool box thingy, as he is an electrician, dont know how waterproof it be but they are very sturdy and should hold the poppers

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
March 19, 2009, 08:30:26 PM
I use KARANA Ocean Pack but would not use it for rigged poppers , my 15 liter bag has survived various trip in the oceans n the rivers protecting my cameras n handycams as well as reels n wallet , medicines , etc. .

http://www.bylandwaterandair.com/extras/reviews/gear/karana_ocean_pack.php

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 09:03:07 PM
That is a tough one Chris.

One question though, how waterproof do you want your lure bag? The only reason i say this is you could go for the Fisherman lure bag,not fully waterproof but how waterproff do you want to be? Otherwise the large Fisherman waterproof bag ( not sure on the exact name on that). Anyway i think you know what i am talking about.

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 09:36:02 PM
Hi Chris,

I'd second Rob on the Bristol Bay bags. I've used one on a number of trips and its been completely waterproof and will handle your rigged lures without issue.

If you're thinking (as you are) of a Nomad dory trip it is adviseable to have something completely waterproof, unless you don't mind tipping it upside down to drain a litre or two out at the end of each day. The storage lockers on the current dories don't cope at all well with water.

The Fisherman popper bags are really handy things, but absorb water very rapidly, and once wet take a while to dry out.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 09:57:46 PM
Chris, you're best off with a hard style waterproof bag like the one which Rob has. I have a number of these in different sizes and they're more than waterproof enough. Some of these actually have hard platic interiors which make them ideal for poppers with hooks on.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

jay currie

March 19, 2009, 10:38:20 PM
have a chat with jay currie, he uses some cool tool box thingy, as he is an electrician, dont know how waterproof it be but they are very sturdy and should hold the poppers

Tri they are a roller case you can pick them up from either an electrical or plumbing wholesaler I woundnt call them waterproof but unless you hose them the wont let water in. I have been using them on my boat now for 6 months and they are the best tackle storage I have found. You would easily fit all your gear in one box but you might have to put in lining for the reels. They also have small compartments for your hooks, split rings ect.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 20, 2009, 04:59:32 PM
Have a look at the Shout Expedition Bags. It's not waterproof as in if you sink it no water will go in, but its made in such a way that most splashes and waves will not get the inside wet. I like it because its robust and hard - I think I have friends that have even checked it in when travelling.
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 20, 2009, 06:14:49 PM
Thanks for all the ideas .

I have been looking for a small waterproof tackle bag for quite a while and was trying to avoid the stuff sack concept because it looks like its a pain to find thinks at the bottom and most of them seem so deep. I was toying with the idea of useing a soft cooler style bag but I know it would get destroyed in no time

I have seen the big Shout bags and they look great but I am after a small bag and it must be waterproof and robust.

I already have a Shimano Banar deck bag that is great as a big gear bag for traveling, its very light and close to waterproof and fits most things needed on an extended trip

The Bristol Bay bag looks the goods to me for short day trips(I have just ordered one) I like the fact it is small enough to use as hand luggage on the planes if needed but large enough to fit a couple of reels and a camera...I hope ;)

Rob and Malcolm....if you guys both have these bags allready does that mean I have to get my mum to put my name on it ??? ;D

Crusty

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2009, 06:29:41 PM
I got one too but i won't bring it to avoid confusion
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rob Ciotucha

March 20, 2009, 07:25:12 PM
Malcolm's bag shall be ok as it will be well worn in but mine and yours will be difficult chris as they are brand new  ;D ;D

Cheers Rob