Bruce Kievit

Re: Best Gloves? Index finger is trashed
April 03, 2009, 08:56:06 AM
Hi Kurt
   I've been using these cheap finger guards for years.http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/thesurfcaster/prodinfo.asp?number=RESA1
I hope the link works.  Basically it is a piece of soft leather cut to the size of your index finger and has elastic fabric sewn to the back.  I've used them for both surf fishing and casting poppers at roosterfish and cuberas. It can be just slipped on top your finger or slipped over the top of a light weight glove. The cost is just one or two USD at many East coast tackle shops in the U.S..  Don't know if there is an equivalent sold in your area, but it looks like it would be pretty easy to make. 

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
April 03, 2009, 09:09:21 AM
If you wanted just a one finger guard - these work very well. This one is an owner one.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 03, 2009, 11:47:18 AM
I guess if you only use a one finger guard you dont plan on holding any GTs by the tail hey :o
I have been using old MTB gloves lately but after ripping casts all day my finger still gets a bit sore, so I am going to use the index finger cut off a ninja glove (courtesy of work!) as well as the MTB glove i use now. Just adds padding i guess.

Makes me wonder of the actual forces on your finger while launching a 150g popper?

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 03, 2009, 11:49:44 AM
For me, nope...nothing down my way has tail scutes that are that sharp.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 03, 2009, 01:05:31 PM
Just talking to Warwick about gloves etc and the single would be no good for me...I hold the line against the rod with 4 fingers while casting whereas he uses just one.  When trying to show other people how I cast they also think it's ridiculous  :D... anyone else use more than one finger to hold the line?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2009, 01:14:02 PM
anyone else use more than one finger to hold the line?

negative  ;D

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2009, 01:39:14 PM
One finger for light lures , more than 1 finger for heavy lures . :P

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 08, 2009, 05:32:45 PM
Lately I've been using some el-cheapo "Medalist" brand workshop gloves I picked up from BCF for $15.  Have used them now on three trips and no significant wear.  They look to be of similar construction to the Owner gloves but are stronger and seem to last longer.  The casting finger is not re-inforced, but the material is strong enough that doesn't seem to matter. 

cheers,

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Mat Selwyn

April 17, 2009, 08:56:08 AM
Strapping tape around the finger, the stuff used for ankles and the likes. And to grap a trev round the tail use your hat.