David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jigging AJ's in New Cal - tackle question
March 21, 2009, 06:57:09 PM
It's not too long to go now, heading to New Cal next week for a long awaited trip.  Phew  :)
Tend to have most things covered tackle wise, the heavy gear is sorted, as is the popping stuff.

My question concerns a 200g Jigging Master rod which I've recently had built, it seems to be an awesome little rod.  Looking forward to using it off Sydney and Terrigal for kingies later this year.

I'm wondering if this outfit would suit jigging for Amberjack and other mid weights in New Cal on this trip?  That's if they are around...
I've got an 8000 Twinpower on it, not sure if I should fill it with 50lb or 65lb though??  Would you guys go for higher line capacity (50lb) or stick with the higher strength  of 65lb?  Have a selection of metals and big plastics to try out, who knows what may take a liking to these...

I reckon 65lb is a bit much for the rod, though might be the safe option just in case...

Any suggestions on this plus what jigs to be dropping over there???

Many thanks,

Cheers Dave

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Jigging AJ's in New Cal - tackle question
March 21, 2009, 09:16:15 PM
David,
A lot of the Amberjacks in NC are small to medium sized, maybe up to 15kg, be realistically between 5 to 10kg. Of course, it is when you use the JM 200g, that will be when a big dogtooth or cod comes along and spools you  ;D

There are quite a few small AJs around but it will be a matter of how many you can get before the sharks crash the party.

If you intend to jig Walpole island circumstances may be different though  :o
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 22, 2009, 07:17:38 AM
Thanks Kasey,

Decisions, decisions....  I think I'll take both the 50 and 65lb Tuffline and wait till I get there to spool this up...  ::)  Now I'm leaning towards the 65lb if sharks are that much of a concern.

I have got a good selection of jigs from 180 - 300grams.  Hopefully these will get down in most areas I choose to use this light outfit. 
Nice to get a few species on it, a doggie pup would be very nice, aswell as a few assorted reefies.  8)

Do Amberjack like similar jigs as their kingy cousins? eg quite partial to the longer knife jigs?

No were not going to Walpole island....

Cheers Dave

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
March 23, 2009, 09:06:12 AM
Toooooo many sharks in new cal i must say!!Id go heavyer as you may encounter the dogtooth and he will be sure to show you up on 50lb braid unless he is a little tacker that is..

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2009, 07:08:52 PM
The AJs will take anything a YTK will take. You should reach most spots fine with those weights.

I think though, if you honestly want to do a bit of light jigging, the best is to throw taikaburas at night when the boat is anchored up. The problem with jigging reefies is that alot of them like big trout can't be eaten due to ciguatera, and pulled from anything ovr 30m they just blow their bladder and can't be released.

Just my perspective  ;)
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 24, 2009, 07:51:12 AM
Thanks Nathan and Kasey for your advice.. 

I'm flying out tomorrow, can't wait..

Cheers Dave

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 24, 2009, 01:24:33 PM
You might be in for a couple of quiet days David, Cyclone Jasper will be Cat 3 and NW of NC by Thursday befor heading SW towards 'BUGATTI' :o
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Rob Ciotucha

March 24, 2009, 01:27:18 PM
Lets hope it has blown out and gone by the time we arrive at Bugatti Greg.

Cheers
Rob

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 24, 2009, 02:08:45 PM
Hey Greg, Yeah, it's not a great outlook right now.......

quote author=Greg Burt link=topic=1214.msg12316#msg12316 date=1237861473]
You might be in for a couple of quiet days David, Cyclone Jasper will be Cat 3 and NW of NC by Thursday befor heading SW towards 'BUGATTI' :o
[/quote]