Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cairns 01/04/09
April 01, 2009, 05:19:55 PM
Took the missus for a run out to the reef today.  Mainly lazing around on a deserted sand-cay and snorkling but mixed a bit of fishing in too. 

First cast after dropping the missus off at the cay, I hooked up to a monster Cuda.  This thing made such a commotion on the surface at first I thought I'd hooked a dolphin!  Shame I was on my own so was hard to get any decent pics. 

Next was a couple of average trevs found shadowing a huge Manta Ray. 

Back to do some snorkling at the cay, then a few more casts for not much.  Got a nice Shark mack and a couple of follows but things were a bit slow so we anchored up and pulled in a few trout on bait. 

Fantastic day, great weather at a relaxing pace.  Couldn't ask for more. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Damien Phillip

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Cairns 01/04/09
April 01, 2009, 08:42:05 PM
WOW! Massive Cuda! Look at those teeth! spectacular conditions aswell. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 01, 2009, 08:57:05 PM
great photos and thats one big cuda, lucky he didnt chew through your leader, looks like the perfect conditions we had out of townsville yesterday, it was 4pm and still the water looked like glass..
PoPpInG mAd

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 01, 2009, 10:42:30 PM
Hey Steve,

BIG stinker there mate... ;D
How was the smell...??

Looks like a great day mate....water looks magic.
Whats the GT action like through winter in Cairns...???...Still keen to make the trip up.

Pete

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 02, 2009, 11:56:13 AM
Holleee, great report.  Damn that Cuda has some serious dental work going on.  How did you land it by youself - bet there was sh1t flying everywhere lol  :D

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 02, 2009, 06:00:14 PM
Thanks guys,

Pete the fishing's great in winter - trouble is it's usually blowing 20 knots so the opportunities are limited. 

Tom yeah very lucky to land that one.  Was very nervous when I saw what it was and all those teeth so close to my leader. 

Travis it was a challenge to say the least.  A careful lip-gaff helped but it was still a mission.  I didn't want to lift the whole fish by it's bottom jaw so ended up covered in stinking slime while supporting it's belly with one hand and gaff in the other.  Was just happy to get my lure back in one piece! 
Cairns Bommie Basher