Lee Younan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First GT
March 29, 2009, 06:28:24 PM
G'day everyone my name is Lee Younan. i have been fishing since about the age of ten and have only recently started to really get interested in popping for big G's. since i have joined this website it has been a wealth of knowledge, though it hasnt helped in the savings department. I have been fortunate enough to travel to the 7seas proshop in bangkok and stock up on plenty of Jai poppers. unfortunately i dont get the chance to fling lures for GT's very often and have only ever caught one. It was quite a miracle that i landed it actually i was using a set up that would be probably be more suited to chasing barra. we had been cathing yellowfin tuna on poppers and i was using an orange Jai popper that very much resembled a sea frog around the local reef. i was using a G-Loomis rod and a certate 3000 spooled with 30lb braid and about 1 metre of 50lb trace when i hooked the GT it was a solid 30min fight and one of the greatest days fishing i have ever had.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: First GT
March 29, 2009, 07:14:41 PM
That is an incredible catch for such a light outfits , make one wonders what macho image is the GT popping hype is all about . Bravo !

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 29, 2009, 07:36:59 PM
Lee,

A capture like that on such light tackle is just fantastic! Congratulations indeed, but I'm afraid you have set a hard task for yourself to be able to ever better the achievement. Talk about starting at the top!!!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 29, 2009, 09:50:27 PM
Good on you, welcome to the GTPopping fold, may you spend piles of money on heavier outfits and may your casting arm be strong  ;D :D ;D :P

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
March 30, 2009, 02:51:02 PM
Well done for a first fish.. ;)

Lee Younan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2009, 05:43:11 PM
Good on you, welcome to the GTPopping fold, may you spend piles of money on heavier outfits and may your casting arm be strong  ;D :D ;D :P

Dont worry mate already got my stella 18000SW and a shimano GT to match it.

Aaron Concord

March 30, 2009, 10:12:34 PM
Lee,

That is a stellar catch on light gear mate!
To get your first GT on 30lb braid is terrific and as Malcolm mentioned, you have already made the 'bar' for the next capture very high indeed!

Congratulations on a memorable first.

Aaron.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 01, 2009, 01:05:55 PM
Lee, excellent capture. Many more to come dude.

Matt Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 02, 2009, 09:43:34 PM

Wow that's a brilliant first GT on what would have been lambasted as completely innapropriate tackle.

Can't wait for my first "proper" GT.

Well done indeed.

Matt