Shane Hartstone

Whitsundays in October
April 17, 2009, 06:28:02 PM
Ok, sorry for my ignorance here, I'm in New Zealand remember. A mate in Gold coast has invited me up to the Whitsundays for a week in October on his old man's 65ft launch....  Both are not fishermen.

Question is what sort of fishing is available then? Troling lures/jigging/popping???  How easy will it be to get onto some fish?

Any advice would be apreciated.

Cheers, Shane.

Ashley Cotter

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Whitsundays in October
April 20, 2009, 10:35:03 PM

Shane, send a pm to the taylor boys, they will give u a heads up. I know at that time of year, the smaller black marlin move on from bowling green and head down that way as they migrate their way down the coast. It is big tide country down their, any points or rocks that recive alot of current should hold GT's. They also get massive sailfish down their to 50-60kg range. The only spot that i know of for billfishing is the back of hayman Is. U sholud also get plenty of spanish mackerell to.

cheers
Ashley
Ashley Cotter
Townsville

Cy and Kerrin Taylor

April 22, 2009, 09:35:34 PM
Hi Shane,

October should be a great month for the saltwater in the Whitsundays. Ashley's advice is great - any large rocky points & headlands in deep water with current coming past are good spots to try popping for GT.

Having a smaller boat in tow is a good idea and lets you fish the flats, reef edges & bommies for coral trout, queenfish etc.

You can email us closer to the date if you like and we'll give you some more up to date info - [email protected]

Thanks,

Cy & Kerrin Taylor
Whitsundays QLD

Shane Hartstone

April 23, 2009, 07:15:29 AM
Thanks heaps for the advice. There will be a tender with a 40HP yamaha on it, so could be quite intresting. I'll try to find out more info about exactly where they are likely to go.