Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
That GT looks like it could fit Mr Fukui's head in its mouth!! :o :o incredible capture

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Did anyone find the pic of Elinor Bullen womens word record GT? Also what sort of rod would someone use for chasing GT's of the rocks?

Mat Selwyn

Incredible fish but from the rocks makes it INSANE! My god that has got my blood pumping. Thanks for posting up these pics.

Kurt Carlson

"Ken" Fukui was using a Shimano rod called "Bluefin Special."  I found it on the web once, but can't find it again. It only seemed to be available in Japan.

Kurt Carlson

I was mistaken, It is called "OCEA Bluefin Tuna" and the model is S86M.  Here is a shot of him casting.  It came from his website.
Some other pictures from his site from Tonga can be seen at http://bigdipper-amami.com/enseifotop/09tonga/tongap01.html

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Epic fish....Seriously amazing angler....

Here is another great shot:

and two more...

Interestingly I read that Tonga report, and they claim the woman's World Record for GT's is 45 odd kilos..... but I thought that the record came from Bassas de India ( an Atoll off Mozambique ) caught by Elinor Bullen of Durban South Africa, in 1984, a fish of 53.5 kilos..... I'll scan a pic of it and post it... she was on a mission to break the Womens World Record for GT's.... and she did.... anyway, thats a little off topic, but thought I'd add it... Elinor is now head of ORI ( Oceanographic Reaseach Institute ) tagging program and is the person single handedly responsible for the Tagging programs here in SA..... my useless fact for the day! ;D

I don't know how, or why, why bother or where's the proof - but that first photos has some serious techno trickery going on...wide lense or fish far propelled relative to angler...thats not a true indication shot..shame.

Sam Walker

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Perhaps Mr Fukui isn't very tall ? however it's an impressive fish esp from the rocks. The casting  pic is a good demo of how the rod should be loaded up..
cheers
Sam
something clever and witty !

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Finally the video is on Shimano TV......

Awesome footage there...especially the last fish he cought....dirty fight....

Enjoy....

http://tv.shimano.co.jp/movie/tv/paradise_15/

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Great land based fight that one..!!.....Dirty fight and earnt the hard way.

Spectacular fish from the rocks. 8)

Pete

Kurt Carlson

How long does it take the movie to load?  I can't get anything to play.

I went back to that island this morning and got one small GT then about an hour later I got schooled.  Biggest splash I've seen yet.  I guess I was taught who the boss is.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
aarrgggghhhhh - I just realised from watching the video that he caught the GT on a bibbed minnow!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
aarrgggghhhhh - I just realised from watching the video that he caught the GT on a bibbed minnow!!

:o :o  Credit for catching it off the rocks but it now no longer counts  :'( :D

edit: just watched the video...amazing effort to land it.  Is that you in the video Kurt? (doesn't take too long to load, a minute or so for me)
Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:47:06 PM by travis heaps

Kurt Carlson

Yeah that's me.  I still haven't been able to watch the video, can't get it to finish loading.  I am scared to see how bad I did in my 5 seconds of fame.  I about S*&t when the cameraman told me to go leader that fish.  No gloves, no rag and sharp rocks.  Hopefully that part is not in the video  :o

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Kurt...the video looks awesome...at the beginning it shows that you cought the 1st fish on the trip mate....must watch it at some point.....

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
...I about S*&t when the cameraman told me to go leader that fish.  No gloves, no rag and sharp rocks.  Hopefully that part is not in the video  :o

yeah that bit is in there  :P ;D ;D