Callan Wallace

Finally got my fishing mojo back
May 23, 2009, 08:45:19 PM
I have been in a fishing slump lately. I have been going out regularly but no really catching anything. <div>We planned to go to Rukua village on Beqa to do a sevusevu and if we had time then a little fishing after.The Tui Rukua was a very nice chief and we drank lots of grog and talked plenty. We spent about 3 hours with him and when we left we were thoroughly grog doped. No matter we had time for a fish so off we went to try a few new spots.The wind was howling at a good 20-25 knts so we had to stay inside the reef. Almost immediately upon fishing Rosie was on to a massive cod. It gave a good accounting of itself but soon succumbed to the 50lb braid. As she decided to have a break I took up her rod and had a few casts.<After about 15 minutes of drifting along and inshore reef we came upon a nice sunken coral head all by itself. I fired several casts at it when suddenly the water exploded and a giant hole opened up where my lure was. My line went tight instantly and the scream of the drag was unmistakable. I was onto a nice GT, finally. It was a good fight that the GT never gave up even at the end. After a few pictures the GT was in the water never looking back.This was the first GT in the boat and I am hoping the end of my fishing slump.Five more fish were landed during the session by others on the boat but I was one happy skipper.
Doing my sevusevu to the chief of Rukua village
Tui Rukua and myself
One big cod
One big mouth
In the heat of battle
Finally a GT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrvsipAVtBo#noexternalembed&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0
Tight lines

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Finally got my fishing mojo back
May 24, 2009, 11:50:27 AM
Hey Cal,i hope them outfits are working well and landing you some good fish!!
We will find some locations soon i must say..
i have sent you a email..

Good work mate!!

Stan Konstantaras

May 24, 2009, 06:16:27 PM
Spending time with the chief would have been a buzz, in many ways than one!
Good to see.
Mojo back in town.
cheers
stan

Callan Wallace

May 26, 2009, 05:19:31 PM
Stan, It is always interesting to meet with the chiefs. Thanks for the comment.
Cheers