warren yuile

jig rod
May 17, 2007, 05:46:23 PM
Hi guys anyone had a go of the rapala braid concept rods yet they looy ok was thinking of getting 1 for kingy jigging like to here any opinion before I buy Wozza

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: jig rod
May 17, 2007, 08:03:06 PM
Hi there have not herd of them but if they are the same price as a t curve i would go the t curve by shimano awsome jig rod for kings.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 17, 2007, 09:05:11 PM
Saw them at Caloundra Fishing World last year, picked one up and put it back :-\. On the web it is claimed as, Quote: "Rapalas 1st rod, ground breaking technology that renders it 30% stronger than other graphite rods! in addition, all 15 Rapala braid concept models use superior Fuji components to help make this rod the ultimate high performer". ::)
 I left it in the rack. :D

PS: I don't think they were heavy duty and were priced at $200 plus, I think :-\
 Warren, what ratings and how much were the ones you looked at ?
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Hal Harvey

May 17, 2007, 11:42:18 PM
They're good, very good value for money.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 18, 2007, 05:07:53 AM
Are they as good value as a T-Curve though?                                 
Have seen the okuma in shops and it looks quite solid and is cheaper than the T-curve.
Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:10:29 AM by Cam Foley
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

scotty thorrington

May 18, 2007, 08:25:57 PM
the rapala has pretty soft action, i think that can be a good thing, at the end of a jigging session try going to a softer action rod, your arms will thank you, especially in deep water 1000 mt plus. 

warren yuile

May 18, 2007, 09:34:21 PM
how deep scotty 1000m plus do you use 1lb fireline to get that much line on your saltiga Woz
Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 07:49:45 AM by warren yuile

Nathan

May 21, 2007, 05:05:36 PM
 I'm currently using a Calstar GF410 with a 6500exp haven't hooked anything to test it yet have to wait for the winter kings.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 05:25:39 PM
Hi Nathen do you get many kings in wollongong? wicked cat love the name
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Nathan

May 21, 2007, 09:31:55 PM
 Most of the Kings we get are taken down at Jervis Bay. The biggest i've got went 27.4kg.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 22, 2007, 05:28:19 AM
very nice fish Nathen was caught on a jig or other
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 22, 2007, 07:49:59 PM
I would look at stiffer (not necessarily high line class) rods than the Rapala's if you plan to jig deep water and with 50lb +. Not saying its a bad rod but I wouldnt fish it to its maximum line class otherwise very good value. The Daiwa Saltist jig rods are not bad as well but abit stiff in the tip. The T-Curves are good compromise. Ugly Stik make a bluewater graphite range, Strudwick also make nice jig rods but needs to be shorter, 6ft atm.

What sort of line class you planning on running??

scotty thorrington

May 22, 2007, 09:15:20 PM
hey wazza, I meant 100 mts. i recon soft is good. My 2 saltist rods and reels have caught 1000 +, apart from breaking a few handles i cant fault them. i had a couple of kids out last week, 12 and 14 year olds, they almost got levered out of the boat on the bite , once they got the rod into the rod bucket they were ok. A softer rod would be the go for them

Nathan

May 22, 2007, 09:20:24 PM
 Unfortunately it wsan't but from now on i keep the JigRod on standby.

Neil Griffiths

May 24, 2007, 05:28:14 PM
The Rapala rod looks like a bit of a copy of the Shimano Blue Rose series. I guess Rapala are really trading on their name and the rod will sell because it's cheap, not because it's got a respected pedigree or such like.
If you want to see what a class jig rod looks like check out a Blue Rose or better yet something like Smith 55Niraii you won't be disappointed.

Of course big schools of hungry or spawning fish make life easy for us jiggers, any old rod, jig and technique will more often than not get results. Move away from that senario and things change, you really see the cream rising to the top. The jiggers with the good stuff, the gear that's been researched and tested and refined will catch more. This is the incentive to buy better, in the long run the gear will be more satisfying to use and own.

Neil