Stan Konstantaras

Moon phases
May 23, 2009, 11:17:44 AM
Guys,
Any advice on what roles the moon phases play when trying to select a time to chase GTs in New Cal?
Cheers
stan

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Moon phases
May 23, 2009, 06:05:32 PM
I have been told by a few people (Damon Olsen and LPB) that they tend to come on the bite in the lead up to the full moon, then go quiet right on the full and for a few days following

But..we were there in the lead up to the full and they were not on the chew much at all

Stan Konstantaras

May 23, 2009, 06:22:43 PM
Cheers Scott,
Most fish tend to do the same.
cheers
stan

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
May 23, 2009, 06:27:18 PM
Lead up towards the full moon is generally good,same as snapper fishing..GTs i have caught in all diff moon phases but the lead up is always the best..Only times i have found it quiet is around the middle,then the bite time comes back on roughly around 3pm till just befor dark,some stages we have raised big fish at the middle of the day and have hooked them,but it depends on the weather i guess..A mate was recently in the solomons and caught GTs till about half hour after full dark..All on Poppers,some of the strikes he said were not even 20ft from the back of the boat..

Yellowfin love the new moon and full moon..

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
May 23, 2009, 06:28:39 PM
New caledonia we have found some big fish threw the middle of the day!! :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 23, 2009, 07:11:18 PM
like anywhere else, NC fishes well during big tides although it doesn't have the tidal movements we're used to here. That said, I think the wind is probably the most important factor there. If you are there over a big tide and you have the Alyzee blowing around 10-15 knots, that's the dream scenario   ;D

When conditions are really flat, it's bloody hard work there trying to raise fish.

I just pray for a good wind when I'm there! Anyway, still seven weeks to go.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 23, 2009, 07:57:24 PM
I have been told by a few people (Damon Olsen and LPB) that they tend to come on the bite in the lead up to the full moon, then go quiet right on the full and for a few days following

But..we were there in the lead up to the full and they were not on the chew much at all

Where we fish over here in WA I have found that the lead up to the full doesn't have enough tidal movement to really get them excited. The few days following the full moon when the tide is at it's biggest is when we've had the most success. That said, we've had some awesome sessions on the neap with only 1cm of tidal movement!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 24, 2009, 09:18:13 AM

Well hopefully you're wrong  :D We've got our Nomad trip coming up and it's planned for the 2 days leading up to full and two days after - don't know why they'd schedule a trip for then if it's supposed to be quite? 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2009, 09:44:27 AM
Jesus, that's as good a time to be out there as you can pick, Travis!

I think you can only ever give yourself the best chance you can and on this tide, you're doing that. Fish simply aren't that predictable in their behaviour. Over the past few years though, I've found both Bugatti and Shoalwater to be downright weird with the tide and current. The first year I was at Shoalwater (George was there too), the tide and current were awesome, just unbelievable. Since then, I've been back over what was supposed to be a full moon with a huge tide and we didn't see much run. Bugatti always has huge tides so it's hard to tell but the current seems to vary a bit.   ???

I don't know what it is with GTs that swithes them on and off. Two years ago, we had a session right on the bottom of the tide at Bugatti when they were more agressive than I've ever seen them. There would have been zero tidal movement at that time. I've sen this a few times in different places but that session was unbelievable.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 24, 2009, 10:02:20 AM
Good to hear Brandon!  ;D

I totally agree.  I have been starting to keep a diary of our fishing trips lately, it records ambient temp, water temp, tide times, tide movement, moon phase, weather conditions, daily rainfall, wind speed and directions at 9am and 3pm, 9am and 3pm air pressures, 5 day air pressure trends, relative humidity, water clarity, location and the times of any fish action or captures....it's in it's infant stages but i'm slowly accumulating data. 

Just when you think you start to see a trend emerging you get a session that completely writes your new theory off!  It is really difficult to put your finger on it. 

In regards to the moon phases the diary shows three good trips in the lead up to full (6, 3 and 2 days before), a mediocre trip 2 days before full, a good trip 2 days before half moon and two terrible trips (on half moon and day before half moon).  I don't think this helps you though Stan as that not in New Cal  ;)
Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:04:16 AM by travis heaps

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2009, 10:04:58 AM
One thing I can say is that water temperature doesn't seem to be a big factor with GTs. I've had great sessions in everything from very warm water conditions to relatively cool. This of course is the opposite to doggies that seem to switch off completely once it gets cool.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
May 24, 2009, 11:45:19 AM
like anywhere else, NC fishes well during big tides although it doesn't have the tidal movements we're used to here. That said, I think the wind is probably the most important factor there. If you are there over a big tide and you have the Alyzee blowing around 10-15 knots, that's the dream scenario   ;D

When conditions are really flat, it's bloody hard work there trying to raise fish.

I just pray for a good wind when I'm there! Anyway, still seven weeks to go.

Brendon,are you heading over to New cal in a few weeks ??

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2009, 01:10:55 PM
Hi Nate - no, it's still about seven weeks to go. I wish it was a few weeks!
It is just before the middle of July. I think I need to go fishing badly.........  :D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 24, 2009, 04:45:17 PM
I subscribe to fishing the new and full moons. Lead-up preferable but anytime around these periods usually produces results as they coincide with bigger tidal influences and stronger currents. There will always be sessions that don't product results and go against the grain - that is simply fishing.

I also believe that variable weatherconditions such as wind and swell will always have great effect on the "bite" as well. GT tend to be more timid and cautious during conditions of no wind, whereas moderate wind conditions seem more conducive for feeding, particularly for larger GT. It's obvious to see that the more turbulent conditions make the GT less spooky and provide for an ideal scenario to hunt prey.

Weather pattern consistancy is also a very big key in my books for success. Highly variable weather patterns and conditions during a trip, jumping from one extreme to another can be quite common in the tropics - unfortunately, it seems to me to be very counterproductive. Better to have consistant weather in general - whatever that weather may be.

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 24, 2009, 08:59:30 PM
Hi Nate - no, it's still about seven weeks to go. I wish it was a few weeks!
It is just before the middle of July. I think I need to go fishing badly.........  :D

not to worry Brandon,  the time will fly and before you know it you will be there getting stuck right into the monster's.   :) :)

I can remember waiting ages to go to New Cal and before i knew it we were on the plane on our way.