Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Using minnows for GTs
May 21, 2007, 08:38:02 AM
The primary lures used for GTs are the various types of poppers and of course, stickbaits are now very popular.  With the success of stickbaits, I see no reason why big minnows which are heavy enough to cast wouldn't work well. I've seen heaps caught on minnows while trolling.

Has anyone used minnows for casting and what kind of success did you have with these?

I think I will try this on my next trip. Also been thinking of trying a big Halco Trembler as a sinking stickbait.
Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 08:39:52 AM by Brandon
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Using minnows for GTs
May 21, 2007, 11:31:56 AM
Brandon ,

Wouldn't be the same sensation n no surface explosion !  ;)

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

MikeOsborn

May 21, 2007, 12:18:15 PM
You are right Jon about the lack of surface action but it does work :) we Ran out of poppers last year and were reduced to casting these big "mega bait" lures from the bow. it worked but no spectacular hookups

Try inverting the old metal bibbed rapala's and casting them as a stickbait with a bellyhook :o
Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:28:22 PM by MikeOsborn

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 01:16:34 PM
You would have to be careful when upgrading hooks though. I changed the trebles on some for the weekend, and I was stuck with 2 minnows that swam like crap.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 01:19:41 PM
no, that's good!!
Stickbaits all swim like crap compared to minnows - that's why they catch so many fish. I reckon the predators just want to put them out of their misery!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 01:23:39 PM
True !.......the ones I had would dive, pick up speed, track left/right and then end up on the surface upside down..... GTs would probably go for that ...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 01:54:56 PM
True !.......the ones I had would dive, pick up speed, track left/right and then end up on the surface upside down..... GTs would probably go for that ...

especially the go upside down bit! Did you know there is a bass lure that has developed a cult following that actually swims upside down?

Wong Kai Zhee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 02:17:10 PM
one concern would be durability.

cus my experience w yozuri hydro tiger was that they cracked under impact of a big fish (not even GT, just toman aka snakehead).

so, i reckon those plastic minows with precision swimming action will probably not last very long.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 02:34:02 PM
 The HALCO Laser Pros have a removable bib [supposedly] by taking out a small pin, got the pin stuck half way out so ground the bib down instead ::), tested in my testing tank [pool] and works really well as standard but much better by having just the bellyhook although I think I'll still use a single rear hook :-\.

PS: Haven't caught the Barracuda yet!
Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 02:36:20 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 02:45:19 PM
Mike ,

I works , no doubt about it and have done it many times , what I am saying is that the strike is not spectacular and hence less excitements when you just feel the strike instead of viewing and feel the strike at around about the same time .

Halco Trembler dives too deep for any chance of spray , at least stickbait still produce them and be carefull using any deep diver , might catch the reefs instead of fish .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 04:59:39 PM
I pretty much thought deep divers were out but I've been thinking that I know a few spots against cliff faces where a trembler might just do the trick - and I was thinking not just of GTs but possibly of doggies.

I find that the surface strke aspect is lessened with stickbaits as I like to get mine to sink a bit.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 09:48:27 PM
This post is utter sacrilege Brandon!

LOL. I can see the potential but i have no interest in it - yes, stickbaits don't have as good an in-built action as some diving minnows but the diving minnows are fairly restrictive in the sense that you can't really dart and poke them very well due to the bib.

As for the Trembler - sure i reckon that may do well on relatively shallow doggies and GTs but i'll probably be reaching for the tried and tested stickbaits and jigs first ;)
Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:11:25 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 10:10:04 PM
 ;D

you mean I am not going to convince you to change the name of the site to gtminnowing.com? I admit it hasn't quite got the same ring to it   :D

Wong Kai Zhee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 22, 2007, 12:37:10 AM
will a big kastmaster or casting jig work?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2007, 01:38:38 AM
will a big kastmaster or casting jig work?

Yes they do but if you want a big GT , get a big lures .

Jon .