David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Decoy hook size for Ebipop 140
June 02, 2009, 07:13:39 AM
Can anyone tell me what size Decoy GT Special trebles would match FCL Ebipop 140's?  I've got a few coming and might get the hooks now also.

Many thanks,

Dave

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Decoy hook size for Ebipop 140
June 02, 2009, 07:35:22 AM
Sorry no advice as I haven't used those hooks before David but if you don't also mind me asking wht size singles (baker front, single rear) people run on the ebipop140?  I've a choice between Sj41 9/0, 11/0 or SJ51 9/0 or 11/0.  Or a jobu 10/0 single for the rear - best combinations anyone?

I'm leaning towards the Sj51 11/0, bulky as they are!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 07:48:54 AM
David, you acn use everything up to the 10/0 sized Decoy for the Ebipop 140. I tend to run a single off the rear like the Fisherman Shiden 13/0.

For Bakers, the SJ-41s aren't ideal because they're short and it looks like there are considerable parts of the lures without hook coverage. I've used SJ-41 11/0s before and I wouldn't go smaller than this. An option is to use two Jobu 8/0s for the baker. The problem with the SJ-51 is the eyes of the hooks are so small that you need to go down to a size 10 Owner split ring and it is hard to put them on without deforming the ring. I'm not a big fan of using the size tens where there are decent fish around as they're just not that strong. Tak Otsuka had one at Bugatti that was starting to look like a pretzel and could only have been a couple of minutes from falling apart.

Perhaps if you tied them on with assist or wire, it'd do the trick.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 08:35:10 AM
I've got all of my Sj51's currently rigged up on Owner size 11 splits Brandon.  There can be a problem with them in that the eye is slightly angled so when they are placed back to back for a baker rig one wants to sit lower than the other - this restricts the size of the overall eye between the two hooks due to the eye offset. 

I've used some metallic tape to tape the hooks exactly back to back (it's air conditioning ducting tape or for radiators or something to do with dump trucks - Warwick borrows it from work).  It is strong and will be waterproof - GTs will tear it but I can just replace it.  I then use a small zip tie to sit in the nook just below the eyes, this strengthens the rig and holds the hooks more securely.

I've attached a picture of some SJ51 11/0s with a size 11 owner split, it is touching the sides but spins freely.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 08:43:19 AM
If you can get it to sit right, they would be fantastic for Bakers. I'd use these on the Ebipops 140s. I like how you put it - Warwick "borrows" it from work!!  ;D

If it swims; I want to catch it!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 09:17:28 AM
Thanks Brandon and Travis for the feedback and options.