warren yuile

reels
May 22, 2007, 07:17:56 PM
I think ive got the rod sorted Im going to go for 1 of the rapala rods they feel good look good and they are not to dear now for the reel again dont want to spend to much, ill be useing it for jigging kings in about 110m of water ill be runing 50lb or 60lb braid some of the reels ive looked at are the big boss,diawa opus bull and a mate showed me an okuma salina and its the first okuma that ive seen that feels and looks allright is there any others that I should look at want to keep it under $250 Woz

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: reels
May 22, 2007, 07:40:16 PM
Hmm.....sounds like you're running fairly heavy anyway, so why go for the Rapala's?? Their heaviest is 24kg which I reckon is abit over-rated being so soft....

Check out the Daiwa Saltist jig rod, about the same price range.

As for reels. You either run 50lb or 80lb. There's not much difference between 50 and 60. If you're gonna be jigging for kings....I'd go a stiff 50lb rod.....ie Saltist 8/10

sorry to change the topic......
ok...back to it.

The reel.....the Salina are great for the price. Solid all aluminium construction and that drag.....smooth and strong. I would look at the 60 or 80 size and try to match it to the rod.

Others to consider.....

Okuma V-System (even better than Salina and under $300)
Shimano Spheros
Daiwa Capricorn J (Freams J)
Penn Applause
Penn SSM and Slammer series

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2007, 09:52:00 PM
Hon-Su is pretty much on the mark. At the price range you're looking at, I'd suggest you look at a Penn Spinfisher or the Shimano Spheros. I've also seen the Shimano Stradic 8000 at just a fraction above your price limit and that is an excellent reel. Why don't you give Neil at Jones Tackle a call - he's offering good discounts to our members and he really knows his stuff.
Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:10:03 AM by Brandon
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 11:03:30 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 23, 2007, 05:08:32 AM
I would go the spheros good quality jig reel for a small fee have seen footage of these reels dealing to big 30kg sambos.Check out the spheros posts
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Neil Griffiths

May 24, 2007, 06:07:06 PM
The Spheros is the best of the bunch mentioned. The bush on the right side of the main gear and the drag washers will need to be changed for longevity. The handle knob is ordinary for jigging, some change it for a stella item but it's not really worth the cost. An aftermarket knob will set you back about $90 and the bearing and drag about $50, if someone does the fitting for you.

Neil

aaron

July 23, 2007, 08:08:42 PM
hey wazza,remember what i told you about the okuma!and i know how you fish...it will not last long.ive seen these reels after one good fish has been caught and all there good for is a sinker.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 23, 2007, 11:01:40 PM
And which model okuma reels are these you speak of? I wouldnt mind knowing other people's experiences of them.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2007, 07:55:53 AM
I've never used one myself but I have read very few positive reviews of Okuma, and none from people chasing big, strong fish. Mark Berg continually reminds us every second sentence in his fishing DVDs that the Okumas are super tough though.

Mind you, 25 years ago, I still remember a lot of people dishing out on Shimano and Daiwa for being "Jap crap" and that if you wanted quality, you needed to buy an American reel like a Penn.

MikeOsborn

July 24, 2007, 12:11:19 PM
I have thrashed the pants off my okuma vs55 for 1 1/2 years and have not had any problems, often fishing with it 3 or 4 times a week for kingi's. and our kingis are alot bigger than yours  :o :D

On a side not does anyone know what the all blacks/wallabies was on the weekend? ;)
Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 12:18:07 PM by MikeOsborn

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2007, 02:11:35 PM
On the side note, 'yes'. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2007, 08:59:54 PM
Luke - am I allowed to suspend a member for mentioning the All Blacks?   >:(

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 24, 2007, 09:03:14 PM
Luke - am I allowed to suspend a member for mentioning the All Blacks?   >:(

Certainly are! Jeez, you don't hear a peep out them over the last fortnight - wonder why :D You're not out of the woods just yet chokers, sorry All Blacks ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2007, 09:14:17 PM
bring your Okuma out on a Nomad charter and if the GTs and doggies are on and it survives, I'll admit I've been a bit harsh.

MikeOsborn

July 25, 2007, 12:23:19 PM
I got a puppy of about 15kg last year on it and a similar sized gt but certainly wouldnt want to deal with anything bigger.

26-12 is a hell of a choke isnt it luke ???